Picture Frame w/hollows and rounds

BobInAustin

So I have the Lost Art Press print of the ATC and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it.  It's too nice for the shop so I thought I would frame it and hang it in the office.  That led me to think it would be nice to make the frame by hand.  I have a set of hollows and rounds that I haven't used yet and thought this would be a good time.  Problem is I can't seem to find much on the interwebs about picture frame profiles nor a process for making one.

My thought it to figure out how long of a piece I need and plane it all at once.  Then cut it in half and match the opposite ends with the cut ends.  After that just proceed with normal picture frame construction.  I'm having a hard time figuring out an appealing profile that isn't too much for a first time and also concerned about the profile being consistent enough so that the corners all match up well.

Anyone have some insights or resources on doing this?

Thanks.

With Hollows and Rounds, the possibilities are endless.  Decide how wide you want it, then divide that width into 6 parts, and make each section some combination of those 6 parts-like 2/6, 3/6, and 1/6-or something else like a quirk 1/6 in from the edge, and so forth.  If a drawing of that doesn't look quite right, try some other number like 5 or 7.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Maybe a typo for ATC (Anarcist's Tool Chest)?

Oops.  Yes.  https://lostartpress.com/collections/apparel/products/letterpress-anarchists-tool-chest-posters

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

With Hollows and Rounds, the possibilities are endless.  Decide how wide you want it, then divide that width into 6 parts, and make each section some combination of those 6 parts-like 2/6, 3/6, and 1/6-or something else like a quirk 1/6 in from the edge, and so forth.  If a drawing of that doesn't look quite right, try some other number like 5 or 7.

I think that is part of my problem.  I don't know what to start with.  I think I'll try  CShaffer's idea below.  But then after the profile idea is worked out, I'm still not sure if i should do 4 pieces or one long piece and then cut it.

3 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Go to your local hardware and ask for a millwork catalogue. They very well might hand you a book of a thousand profiles. 

I would do one long piece.  One advantage of using Hollows and Rounds over regular molding planes is that you can go both directions if you need to, but I follow the plan better if forward is in one direction.  To do that, the grain of the piece of wood you select needs to be coming up out of the board ahead of the direction you're planing in.  Straight grain will work, but it's easier with rising grain.  Finding one good piece is hard enough.

One long piece if you can. Makes getting good miters at the corners easier. Of course doing so also depends upon how much you need. If it's a big frame, you may need to do two pieces. I would not do four separate pieces. 

I did a fairly large frame several years ago for my old podcast. I had to do the molding in two pieces because I needed at least ten feet of it. The trick to doing multiple pieces is making a template to check that the profile is consistent between sticks. Here's the video I did from several years ago starting with squared up mahogany stock, sticking the two lengths of molding and mitering the frame. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Rozaieski said:

One long piece if you can. Makes getting good miters at the corners easier. Of course doing so also depends upon how much you need. If it's a big frame, you may need to do two pieces. I would not do four separate pieces. 

I did a fairly large frame several years ago for my old podcast. I had to do the molding in two pieces because I needed at least ten feet of it. The trick to doing multiple pieces is making a template to check that the profile is consistent between sticks. Here's the video I did from several years ago starting with squared up mahogany stock, sticking the two lengths of molding and mitering the frame.

Thanks Bob!  That seems to be everything I need except the skill. :)  I'll get past my analysis paralysis and work on a profile. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

I miss your videos. Did you stop or am I blind to it?

I stopped doing them a couple of years ago before we moved South. I'll get back to them at some point. I did just start an audio podcast back up, but time just isn't available for video at this point. We're currently building a new log cabin and between that and my day job I barely have time to sleep. 

• Like 2