Frankenplane

outofstepper

Greets all. Lurker / first post. Great forum.

I'm relatively new to woodworking -- and am starting to build a basic tool set.

by basic I mean, the highest quality I can afford now.. and growing slowly.

That said I've just picked up two veritas planes, the jointer and the older

bevel-up smooth plane. (the $20 I saved on that one went to a dovetail saw).

Anyway, they haven't shown up yet, but I need to flesh the set out with a

scrub / roughing.

In order to save some cash (or get something else), I'd like to put what could

be a very stupid question out there; so apologies in advance.

Could "my friend" just order a second iron for the smooth plane and put a 3" or

so radius on the business end, drop it in the smoother, and use it as a scrub?

The mouth looks like it might open up enough.. though the bevel up design might

make the angles invovled a little ugly.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Tony

I have heard that you don't need to break the bank on a jack plane and tend to agree that tight tolerances are not needed. I think you would benefit from a jack that has a longer sole than your smoother and suggest a look at eBay or a cheapie. Once you have your planes setup, you don't want to have to mess with them I you can help it because once it becomes a pain to start swapping setups, that's when it stops being fun.

I have to agree with Mike. Pick up an old stanley #5, Grind a 6" radius camber on the iron and you are good to go. You can probably do this for less than 40 bux. Pick up a second blade and grind an 8" camber on that. This way you can scrub till the cows come home. I have a Stanley 40 that is a wood eating machine. Real easy to get carried away with it and hog of to much material. Also, going this route leaves more money for other things.

Roger

Could "my friend" just order a second iron for the smooth plane and put a 3" or

so radius on the business end, drop it in the smoother, and use it as a scrub?

The mouth looks like it might open up enough.. though the bevel up design might

make the angles invovled a little ugly.

Yes. Or you could convert an old #4 which you should be able to find for about $20. The blade won't be as thick as a true scrub, but you'll just have to take a bit lighter of a cut. This is what I have done.

What I currently have is one of these.

(Great Neck 9" jack)

Something I inherited from my old man. Its older (but has plastic handles!).. somehow the

fact that its $27 makes me chuckle.

Anyway, i cleaned it up and, although I really have no context for comparison, it really

is a pleasure to work with. I can't imagine what the veritas planes will feel like. At any

rate, when its properly sharpened I can get some useful work out of it. It soothes the soul

so it must be doing something right.

So ... if I round the iron, would this be suitable as a scrub?

-Tony

9 inch plane is more in line with a smoother or #4 in the stanley termonology. you would be in the same boat of it being a plane a little shorter which isnt terrible but not ideal. a jack plane would be of the 15 or 14 inch length.

edit: my jack plane is a Millers Falls 814 which I paid 18 bucks for.

Do you really need a scrub plane? I have several I got on Ebay from people who had probably never used them. You can probably get one there pretty cheap.

I also saw guy using a #6 Stanley with a reground blade as a scrub plane on some logs. This guy was a hoss. You could probably make anything into a scrub plane. I have an Ulmia with a real high angle to it that works well, and I have much lower angle Bailey clone that works just fine too. These don't take much finess, I don't think.

Yes. Or you could convert an old #4 which you should be able to find for about $20. The blade won't be as thick as a true scrub, but you'll just have to take a bit lighter of a cut. This is what I have done.

If you use a scrub plane much, you will start thinking light cuts are not such a bad idea. Those things will work you, just as much as you are capable of being worked.

If you use a scrub plane much, you will start thinking light cuts are not such a bad idea. Those things will work you, just as much as you are capable of being worked.

You're right, but I can actually take fairly heavy cuts dispite the thin iron. I don't exactly know why. I've use the Veritas scrub, I've used wooden scrubs, and I've used mine. I know I should be experiencing more of a difference, but I'm not noticing it.

Basically if it holds the iron at a consistent bed angle you can use it as a scrub plane. Because the depth of cut is so aggressive sole flatness has nothing to do with it. A wide mouth to accommodate the thick chips is also a necessity. The scrub, taken from continental traditions is a bit shorter and a #4 or #5 would suffice quite well. The Fore plane taken from English cabinetmaker traditions is longer and more equivalent to a modern #5 1/2 or #6. Both accomplish the same job, but I find my Fore plane is much more efficient for typical furniture work with larger pieces. I like having the scrub around for smaller applications and it quickly will trim a board to proper width too. So easy answer is yes, your plane will work. Put a camber on it and go to work.