Does anyone have tips for relocating a shop

bmorretta

Gang,

My cabinet manufacture and furniture building business has grown to the point where I am moving into a larger space. Through word-of-mouth the side-business has grown.

Now I have to move a lot of heavy equipment; cabinet style table saw, shaper, drum sander, and jointer; just to name a few.

It seems the best approach is to disassemble the machines then crate or otherwise protect the parts.

Are there other approaches?

Thanks,

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

Just to be clear, you are moving a SHOP, not a SHIP, right? A little bit less exciting.

If your shop is below ground level (basement), some disassembly will probably be required. Definitely get some help, whether it be in the form of heavy machinery or professional movers or even some strong friends. Is there a forklift at the either end?

Sorry about the typo. My connection had some problems while I was creating the post. Do you know how to fix it?

The shop is above ground and I am moving to an above ground installation. I like the idea of a firm that specializes in moving heavy machinery.

Bobbie

Sorry, I can't help you with the title.

When it comes to moving heavy (and expensive), properly equipped, experienced and insured professionals are the way to go. Remove loose items and things that can be damaged easily and figure out the safest lifting points so as not to cause damage or extra tuning at the other end. But plan to check the calibration of the machines at the other end.

I vote for local license and bonded movers, too. If you have a bunch of friends that can help. A small amount of pipe is useful to move heavy machinery. A hydraulic lift will come in handy, too. As for a vehicle be sure you rent a truck with a lift gate rate above your heaviest piece of machinery. Congrats!!

The cabinet shop I worked for had to do the same thing a few years back. We moved the whole shop even the cnc router and our 51" belt sanderand our 30 hp dust collector. If you don't hire the job out you will need "machinery skates" there at about any industrial supply. We used a local towing Co that had flatbed trailers to load the large machines on to. The smaller stuff and supplies we loaded in to our delevery trucks. I you don't have a loading dock you might need a small craine to load the machinery on to the trailers. Oh and a fork lift will come in real handy if you don't all ready have one on site. Best of luck to you in your move. :)

Gang,

My cabinet manufacture and furniture building business has grown to the point where I am moving into a larger space. Through word-of-mouth the side-business has grown.

Now I have to move a lot of heavy equipment; cabinet style table saw, shaper, drum sander, and jointer; just to name a few.

It seems the best approach is to disassemble the machines then crate or otherwise protect the parts.

Are there other approaches?

Thanks,

Bobbie

Call a machine tool dealer in your local, and ask who moves things like that. They will do in a day what you can't do in a week, and you won't have to reassemble things. Getting your self back to work quicker will pay for their services, if Obama won't.

I moved my shop across 7 states. Professional Movers. That's my best advice. A representitive came out, quoted the job with a "Not to exceed" clause on the price. Then they came in, moved everything. Shink wrapped lumber, Blanket wrapped everything. We went from New York to North Carolina, and Nothing was even scratched.

Hope this helps

Congratulations!

I second the video Marc produced about this. I also would recommend spending some time in the new location before any equipment shows up with some paper and cardboard. Sometimes, layout tools don't provide the visual reference that cardboard boxes can simulate. I'd recommend getting cardboard boxes from the recycle dumpsters behind clothing stores. (You may have to ask permission first.)

As for moving, pack the small stuff yourself, but consider leaving it for the movers to move. Some moving companies wrap and pack up in addition to moving; some do not. If you are going with a smaller company, you may need to supply some of the moving blankets. (you shouldn't have to, but I never feel comfortable with depending on some of these smaller guys.) A pair of hand trucks can do wonders. And, before you wrap up your shop, consider making some furniture dollies for them. Simple 2x4, 3/4" ply, whatever. Watching Marc's video, I noticed that one of the large tools had the wheels under one side from the movers, but the other end was just pushed across the floor.

not having moved anything larger than portable equipment, I can't offer personal experience. But I have moved a couple bundles of 6' plus lumber... Shrink wrap plastic works better than what I used. (I wrapped it with cheap masking tape, sticky side out. Wrap it once, then fold back over itself. The tape was so flimsy it took six rolls to wrap just a few pieces.) Don't bundle more than an armload. If you are bundling sheet goods, or larger planks, consider a cardboard "foot" across the bottom so you can get the hand truck underneath it.

As for hand trucks, the larger the tires the better. I've gotten appliance trucks with 2 inch wheels, and gotten them stuck on a crack in the driveway. Fortunately, the wounds shallow, and healed quickly.

I hired a mover experienced in machinery. Some of my gear goes 800 pounds and that's way to heavy for friends to move.

My mover was very careful and his crew was excellent. They knew how to lift very heavy equipment. We did very little disassembly. Nothing was damaged.

One word of caution. In general movers are insured for damage at a certain price per pound. That price per pound does not cover the replacement cost if they damage something severely. So extra insurance is something you should consider. As I remember it was expensive.

I did not purchase the insurance. After talking with the mover and his crew I could see they were not only very experienced, they treated my equipment like it was there own.

I suggest you find a mover, talk with him, and use you intuition to determine if he is right for your move and hire him. Get a price in writing.

Pete