Jennings pattern bits

prov163

So I picked these two items up on eBay for $40 shipped. Stanley brace, Miller’s Falls eggbeater. Both are in great shape. Been wanting both for a while. Started looking at bits and wow, they think highly of them :o  Where do you find good quality Jennings pattern bits at reasonable prices?  There are some sets on eBay but it’s hard to tell their condition. Ideas?

Steve, those look great but a set is $300 plus shipping. Ouch. Guess I could get away with buying them three or four at a time. What first four would you recommend.  I’m going to use them mainly for cleaning out mortise waste and drilling small holes for screws in furniture. Are brad point bits better for use with the eggbeater?

I got all mine from estate sales / garage sales. I ended up with some duds before I really knew what to look for, but I have about 50 auger bits now in various sizes, and they were all dirt cheap. Just make sure you do a little research on what to look for in used auger bits and invest in a auger sharpening file and you should be able to stock up for not too much money.

13 hours ago, sjk said:

I'm also a member of the Hand Tool School, and this question comes up over there a bunch.  A popular source is http://www.grandpaslittlefarm.com/drillbits.html.  He's a hand tool woodworker who does a great job of restoring bits (and other tools).

That's a great site, sjk.  Thanks.  At those prices I can buy a few of the key sizes I will need and fill in as I go.  Thanks!