Cutting from the end grain / Vertical pieces milling

kyokahn

As I've mentioned before, I'm about to start building my own CNC machine. I was thinking of ways to add versatility without adding an extra axis. I've seen jigs and holders and creative wasteboards, but here's something I haven't seen: a vise for vertical pieces. There are limitations, especially for woodworking, when you can only place the blanks flat on the bed of your machine, so here's what I'm thinking (please excuse the poor MSPaint, no tinkercad/sketchup/360 at work):

Untitled.jpg

I'm planning a torsion box construction for the bed and the sides that hold two rails, and from my calculations, that notch in there shouldn't cause a big loss in rigidity. Let me know what you think, or if you have any other suggestions. I need ideas!

Edit: ignore the vise type in the drawing, ideally, it would be a smaller moxon with only screws on the sides, or just use hold "down" clamps, horizontally.

Edited by kyokahn

Oh... that's just AWESOME! Now it's just about figuring out how to make it, make it tilt and hold its position securely. :mellow: wow that's a $20k machine. For reference, I've spent around $500 on the parts, if I can find a cheap and functional way to add this functionality I'll be very, very happy.