1/4 Sheet Sanders

Mike M

I've been enjoying my PC 330 speed block sander for about 15 years and its still going strong. My only complaint is the lack of any dust pickup. Most of the newer 1/4 sheet sanders have a useless canister that can be removed and hooked up to a vacuum to absorb the dust.

There seem to be about half dozen sanders in the 50-70 range. They all look pretty similar.

Any suggestions, either pro or con, to help guide me?

Mike

I have a unique perspective on tools because I have used almost every tool on the big box stores floors.

If you are looking for out of the box dust collection it is going to be the Bosch, but it is still mostly a decorative piece that is always in the way. If you are looking for shop vac connection you are going to be looking at the Dewalt or the Makita. You might double check the Bosch but I pretty sure it does not have shop vac connection included. The Dewalt has its connection hidden inside the canister and I believe the makita is the same(double check that). All are in the $50 range and should give the same long life as your old porter cable. I would shy away from the newer porter cable. I know it is cheaper but it is not the same quality as your old 330.

My next question is why not upgrade to a five inch random orbit. Price $30 dollars more for the unit slight increase in price of paper, but you get better sand quality, variable speed, and faster material removal.

I am sure the festool units are good but I have never used them and I just think they are overpriced.

+1 on the orbital sander. I left my quarter sheet at a friends four years ago and haven't felt any desire to go back and get it.

My ROS is a Bosch and the dust port is a tiny, 1 inch diameter affair. There are adapter kits that will go from that into a standard shop vac hose, though, it simply adds another layer to the cost.