General Finishes vs Miniwax stain

RR60

I have golden oak bathroom cabinets that I would like to make  darker. I was thinking of using either a minwax gel stain or general finishes gel stain. I watch some youtube video. Some people sand before using some don't. Some apply a finish coat and some don't. Of course they have a finish on them so I don't think the stain would penetrate that well if I didn't fine sand. I need some suggestions. Thanks

Gel stain is your best bet for application over existing finish. Minwax or GF is really just a personal preference. I like either. 

Pick the color you want, and read the instructions on the can, there should be a section about application over existing finish.

You WILL need a clear topcoat, as gel stain will rub off even when it is dry. 

2 hours ago, Gina1423 said:

Some people sand before using some don't. Some apply a finish coat and some don't.

I think this is just a case of poorly done videos and not doing a proper job of giving the proper information.  You always should sand before doing your finishing process and you usually want to sand between coats both with stain (if you apply multiple coats) and between coats of your clear finish after staining.  In your case you will at least have to do some sanding before you stain because you probably have some kind of clear finish on your cabinets already.  Like mentioned above look at what is suggested on the label of you product.

Hope this helps.