General Finishes vs Miniwax stain

RR60

Always used minwax stains mostly but is anything that much better? For a oil stain on new work

Read a lot of good reviews on GF gel stains. But dont understand why people would like the product. Seems like it dries to quick for a large table top. Does not penetrate and seems it would be more or a paint.

GF does make a regular penetrating oil based stain but not in dark colors

Thanks

Penetrating stain doens't get that dark even the minwax that I've used is fairly light on properly prepared wood. They do offer oil based gel stains that have some dark colors. A gel stain would be better for a dark color anyway. There is also the option of just using a dark colored wood and not staining.

Whats the effective difference between stain and dye?  They both soak into the wood to change the color...so is the difference just chemistry mumbo-jumbo or what?

Like most here, I left stain behind with my pocket hole jig and Home Depot pine. 

*of course we don't know what you use it for, obviously if you are doing repairs or period work, whatever, stain could certainly be necessary*

Looking at the general finishes website again. They also have water based dye stains. I guess I would have to seal coat to use a oil poloy.

My normal was always oil stain and poloy.  

Project is a red oak table that would get a fair amount of use and sits by a window. So durability and UV maybe a little concern. Water based dye or powdered dyes. Oil or take a chance on water poloy. 

Do the gel stains look as good as the regular oil or dye stains?

What would everyone use in my case. Once I get away from my normal routine seems to be getting a little confusing which is best.

Thanks for any suggestions.

18 minutes ago, RR60 said:

Looking at the general finishes website again. They also have water based dye stains. I guess I would have to seal coat to use a oil poloy.

My normal was always oil stain and poloy.  

Project is a red oak table that would get a fair amount of use and sits by a window. So durability and UV maybe a little concern. Water based dye or powdered dyes. Oil or take a chance on water poloy. 

What would everyone use in my case. Once I get away from my normal routine seems to be getting a little confusing which is best.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I honestly use minwax stains despite their bad reputation they are just what i know. In my opinion for a critical piece the product you know even if it's inferior might work better than the product you don't know.

Gel stains are going to stain the wood the colors will probably be different, looking good is subjective can't help ya there.

This is kinda long but has a lot of good information in it despite being for blotchy woods. https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/coloring-blotchy-woods/

There isn't really a best honestly there are just different methods to get to the desired outcome. I believe that each method or product has it's own downfalls. Some might have larger downfalls but they might not matter based off of what you are doing. They key is try and get sample sizes of products and do experiments on boards for your project.

Sometimes a combination of an initial coat of dye followed with a stain will achieve the most consistent dark rich colors. General has both that are compatible. 

Almost all commercially available furniture with a dark rich finish is sprayed. A lot of those colors are achieved with a mixture of dye & stain in the same product.  If you strip off the finish the base wood is something akin to popular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I honestly use minwax stains despite their bad reputation they are just what i know. In my opinion for a critical piece the product you know even if it's inferior might work better than the product you don't know.

Gel stains are going to stain the wood the colors will probably be different, looking good is subjective can't help ya there.

This is kinda long but has a lot of good information in it despite being for blotchy woods. https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/coloring-blotchy-woods/

There isn't really a best honestly there are just different methods to get to the desired outcome. I believe that each method or product has it's own downfalls. Some might have larger downfalls but they might not matter based off of what you are doing. They key is try and get sample sizes of products and do experiments on boards for your project.

I use mostly minwax stains because I had several cans from various projects before I knew any better, and they last an extremely long time!

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I use mostly minwax stains because I had several cans from various projects before I knew any better, and they last an extremely long time!

I should try branching out but i adopted a better mentality use walnut and cherry and throw the stain away. I have a brown dye i like for maple. And that's really the only thing i'd ever really color other than oak. I only have 50 BF of that left and once it's gone i'm not going to buy more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I should try branching out but i adopted a better mentality use walnut and cherry and throw the stain away. I have a brown dye i like for maple. And that's really the only thing i'd ever really color other than oak. I only have 50 BF of that left and once it's gone i'm not going to buy more.

Yeah I understand. I'm just amazed how much coverage you actually get out of even those tiny cans of minwax stain. I suppose if I was making dressers or bigger pieces, they would use it more quickly, but still, stains go a pretty long way.

Also, I imagine stains in general are normally used to achieve colors wood appearance that a person couldn't otherwise acquire or afford. I'm still working with the real thing, but have noticed my local walnut prices are climbing a lot, so if someone wanted a nice walnut look, but couldn't afford it, I don't begrudge them staining something cheaper. 

The other use that people don't talk about much here is using stain as a way to hold color. ie. staining walnut with walnut stain, to help keep it darker. 

9 hours ago, RR60 said:

This is General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain and Satin Arm-R-Seal for a top coat on Quarter Sawn White Oak.  It was part of a four step recipe.  I don't normally use stain but in this case  I was looking for something specific in the final color.  I was real happy with how the stain went on.

IMG_5798.thumb.jpg.e7f3f5a17b2d55287a0139865516b4e2.jpg

• Like 2

@bleedinblue , as I understand it, the term "stain" generally refers to a product that is made up of pigment particles suspended into a carrier. If you let a can sit long enough, the particles will settle out, leaving you with 1/4 can of mud and 3/4 can of juice.

Dyes are either a fine pigment, fully-dissolved (like Transtint), or a chemical concoction that reacts with the wood to change its color (like iron acetate or potassium dichromate).

On porous woods like red oak, pigment stains really build up in the pores, making them contrast with the surrounding wood, while dyes seems to color more evenly. 

If I'm mistaken about these statements, maybe one of the pros will jump in with more info.

All I'm going to add is that I've done this for a long time and my best finishes were definitely post Minwax.  I use a lot of pro waterbourne finishes these days.  I use a mix of solvent and water based stains and dyes.  General makes some of the best stuff available retail. It takes some practice to learn how to use it. 

• 2 months later...

The gel stain is indeed like a paint in that it doesn't penetrate.

This can be beneficial on woods that tend to blotch, as it gives a more uniform and even color.

You are also able to darken the finish by adding additional coats until you get the color you need.

You can also blend colors together to get closer to what you are looking for.

Chris

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"