new family member

collinb

I have a Record version that I bought new, and it gets used a fair amount.   Does it have the little side scoring cutter?  That little cutter is almost mandatory for cutting a rabbet across grain.  If I have one or two pieces of molding to make to match something else, I can do it quicker, or at least have more fun, doing it with hand planes, than making some machine setup.  That rabbet plane gets called on most of the time.

april182013_002.JPG

14 hours ago, Tom King said:

I have a Record version that I bought new, and it gets used a fair amount.   Does it have the little side scoring cutter?  That little cutter is almost mandatory for cutting a rabbet across grain.  If I have one or two pieces of molding to make to match something else, I can do it quicker, or at least have more fun, doing it with hand planes, than making some machine setup.  That rabbet plane gets called on most of the time.

Yes, it does have the scoring cutter.

And from everything I've looked at the Wards, and the Sears are the same unit. What remains is whether or not they are re-badged Stanley planes. Doesn't really matter as long as it works. Just as a curiosity.

That's back when Craftsman made some pretty good tools. Nice score ! 

Sears/Craftsman never made anything but had it done by contractors.  Had two of them as customers back in the early 70s.  Yes, there was a time that their products were good.  I have my FIL's  sander that is a solid zinc die cast body.  Now everything is plastic- cheap way to make things.