Black finish in distressed marks

Danxyz

I frequently see rustic finishes where the distressed indentations are very dark or black in color.  This contrasts nicely with the finished wood color of the main surface and really adds to the aged feel of the finished piece.  How is this done?  I've tried spraying paint over the entire surface with the idea that I'll sand it off (leaving the color in the crevasses) but the paint soaks deeply into the wood making it impossible to get it all off the main piece.  This occurs even if I attempt to seal the wood first.  I've searched on the internet and cannot find any references to this yet I frequently see it done on finished pieces.  Does anybody have a recipe or link I can follow?

The pro stuff is probably printed or CNC painted or something far more reliable ,repeatable, and most important fast. My initial thought is that outside their fancy commercial equipment it's going to take a lot of work. I hear time and time again that intentionally distressing furniture only creates something that looks fake and falls flat. The best way is to naturally distress it.

I agree with @Chestnut , artificially distressing furniture usually looks quite artificial. Having said that, try this method.

1. Beat up your furniture. Be gentle. Worst thing you can do is get carried away here.

2. Lightly seal the surface with shellac sanding sealer.

3. Apply the base shade of liquid stain, or paint if desired. Allow to dry.

4. Apply a dark gel stain and quickly wipe it back with a clean rag. This should leave a darker build up in the nooks and crannies. The intention is to replicate the build up of years worth of waxing and dust.

5. Lightly sand corners and edges with very fine (400+ grit) paper to simulate wear, focussing on areas that see regular use.

6. Apply a coat of amber shellac, allow to fully cure (weeks), then buff with a fine abrasive pad and paste wax.

If you are going for a severely distressed look, rather than a time-worn look, I suggest picking your furniture from the nearest dumpster. Far less work.

• Haha 1