Help me pick a bandsaw

nikbrown

So I recently took on a webdesign job on the side, just so I could use the $ to buy a new tool or two. I'll have about $2,000 for this job and I am looking for 2 things.

1. A bandsaw (I dont have one at all)

2. Maybe a better dust collector (have an old 1HP grizzly that maybe pulls about 400-500CFM)

A new dust collector isn't necessary but I am thinking about starting proper ducting for my shop. So the more $ I have left over from the bandsaw the more I can put into the dust collection project.

Anyway on to band saws.... with a budget of somewhere from $800-$1400 I'm looking for the best way to spend. Having never had a bandsaw, I'm pretty unfamiliar with what I'm looking for. I went to the Michael Fortune classes at WIA and he does everything with a 14" saw, including veneer cutting; so I'm not necessarily sold on bigger is better. Just proper blade selection and tensioning.

My initial rough list of possibilities:

Grizzly G0513P 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Polar Bear Series - $795.00

Grizzly G0514X 19" 3 HP Extreme Series Bandsaw - $1,250.00

Rikon 14" 1-1/2 HP Deluxe Bandsaw - $899.99

Rikon 18" 2-1/2 HP Bandsaw - $1,399.99

Jet 16" 1-1/2HP Bandsaw, Model JWBS-16B - $1,249.99

Laguna LT14 x 14 3HP SUV Bandsaw - $1,495.00

As you can see I'm all over the place..... I want something with at least 12" resaw for veneer/pannel cutting. I'd like to keep it around $1000 if possible but I can go up to 1500 or so if there is a reason to do so. I'm sure the Laguna is nice but is it worth the $? Am I missing any in this list I should be considering? Experience? Thoughts?

Shop space isn't an issue at this point. Good dust collection is a big plus.Woodworking is a hobby for me and a way to produce something other than computer pixles and bits :) So it won't ever see heavy production usage.

I recently went through this and my choice came down to the g0514x and rikon 18". There's not difference between the two and don't think you'd go wrong with either. I chose the grizzly but then found out there was a 2 month backorder so canceled and ended up with the rikon. I've been really happy with it so far and like you, this was my first real bandsaw. If there's anything you want to know about the saw let me know.

I'm not a bandsaw expert, but you can try Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops Annual Issue Winter 2010/11 No.216.

It has an article on page 36 "Step Up to a Serious Bandsaw". In that article there is a review of each of the saws on your list.

I hope that helps.

Chet

Thanks Chet!! My parents actually got me a subscription for Christmas and that was my first one. I flipped through it but haven't sat down to read it yet. I can't believe a lot of the info I'm looking for is on my shelf. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll review that, but if anyone has any advice keep it coming!

Thanks Chet!! My parents actually got me a subscription for Christmas and that was my first one. I flipped through it but haven't sat down to read it yet. I can't believe a lot of the info I'm looking for is on my shelf. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll review that, but if anyone has any advice keep it coming!

You're welcome.

My parents get me a subscription to that every year as well.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

Take care

I am also in the process of picking my first bigger bandsaw. I looked at the Grizzly G0513P that you listed and have decided instead to purchase the G0513X2 for $995.

My reasoning is the the 513X2 has the ball bearing blade guides, a beefier and larger table and it also has cast iron wheels. Not to mention the 513X2 comes with the resaw fence. The wheels on the 513P are cast aluminum.

I also got the FWW magazine and it has the "Best Value" on the 513X2B. The only difference between it and the 513X2 is the brake, which would be nice but I can live without.

The FWW article also favorably compares the 513X2B with the 514X2B, "Best Overall", so my thinking is I'm getting a little smaller saw with no brake for $500 less than the 514X2B.

From your list, I'd drop the Grizzly G0513P and the Rikon 14" Deluxe, mainly because they have aluminum wheels, and the others have cast iron wheels. Cast iron wheels = heavier wheels = easier cutting given the same motor because you get the flywheel effect with the extra mass. I'd drop the Laguna because it's a 14" bandsaw. It has the 12" resaw height that you want, but you will also want as much space between the vertical post and the blade as possible.

One other option, if you're at all mechanically inclined, is to keep an eye on Craigslist and see if you run across an older, larger bandsaw for sale. There's not that much technology in a bandsaw, and the machines from the first part of the 20th century were built to a degree that very few bandsaws are built to today. My bandsaw is a 1940's era 16" Walker Turner, and I just love it. It is really heavy duty -- even the wheel covers are made of cast iron (!).

I had to do some work to get it into shape: disassembled the axles, cleaned off the old grease/sawdust, replaced the tires and bearings, but it runs great now. And if you think you have to have some special mechanical skills or talent to do this, my day job is being a pediatric oncologist, and I had never tackled a project like this before, and was able to pull it off.

Even with the extra work my bandsaw was considerably less than the bandsaws in your price range. I would guess that you could find an old 20" Delta for your budget, and still have enough left over to outfit it with new Carter guides.

I actually love rehabbing old tools! I wont be purchasing for at least a month so I'll keep an eye out. I've been looking but unfortunately most of what I've seen is crappy 10" ones, overpriced 14" powermatics, and 3 Phase industrial monsters.

There is a like new Minimax MM16 near me but they are asking $2200 for it :(

While I like my Rikon 14" Deluxe model, it does have some drawbacks. Yes, I get fantastic veneers from it, but I wish I'd held out a bit longer and got a 20" model or, at least, an 18". In the future, I will end up with one for curves and one for resawing.

I actually love rehabbing old tools! I wont be purchasing for at least a month so I'll keep an eye out. I've been looking but unfortunately most of what I've seen is crappy 10" ones, overpriced 14" powermatics, and 3 Phase industrial monsters.

First, never hurts to make an offer. Second, IDK if you have seen OWWM.com but if you like rehabbing that is a place for you. Good luck with your search and I would say look for a higher HP if you'll be resawing 12" boards.

As you can see I'm all over the place..... I want something with at least 12" resaw for veneer/pannel cutting. I'd like to keep it around $1000 if possible but I can go up to 1500 or so if there is a reason to do so. I'm sure the Laguna is nice but is it worth the $? Am I missing any in this list I should be considering? Experience? Thoughts?....

Yes, it is nice. Yes, it is worth the $. Call them instead of pushing "Buy Now", whine and cry to the sales rep, you should be able to get yourself a nice discount. Don't roll over on that $1495 price, they should be able to do a lot better and will if you push. I got the same saw, 4 silicon blades and the Resaw King last year for less than $1600. Called back and added the Driftmaster, whined a little more and paid less than $250 for it.

Times are tough, folks are willing to make less than nothing at all. I get it all the time in my business, I'll take a little profit over no income. So will Laguna....

HTH,

Bill

Nik,

I have a Jet 14" and a MM20. Thats comparing apples to oranges here, as the MM is head and shoulders above the Jet. As others have stated, get cast iron wheels, maybe upgrade the guides to a Carter system and most importantly. Get the biggest horse power motor that is offered. If you plan on doing any resawing, or cutting turning blanks, you will be most appreciative. 2-3 hp would be the minimum I would look at.

Roger

I just can't get away from the Grizzly value

Unless I see something great pop up on craigslist in the next 2 month I think this is my combo:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-Extreme-Bandsaw-3HP-Single-Phase/G0514X2 - With freight: $1,489.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-HP-Dust-Collector-with-New-Impeller/G1030Z2 - With freight: $469.00

(I'll put a separator in line)

Under 2k and I'll have room to grow on the dust collector system and plenty of power on the bandsaw.

Thanks for the help guys!