How to calculate teak wood price

Misha

Hi,

How are you? This is my first post here. We are getting a teak wood bed made and I wanted to know how to calculate teak wood price. Our carpenter has given an estimate of around 45k INR which I feel is a lot. It is a double bed with header and footer. Size 6ft x 6.5ft. 

Thanks

45000 Indian Rupees is $708 US or £500 GBP.  I’m not sure of the current price for teak in my country (UK) but some others may have an idea. Do you have any idea of the quantity of wood they are quoting for. Also does the price include the carpenters time to make the bed? The labor costs may be considerably different in India than it is in the US for instance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

45000 Indian Rupees is $708 US or £500 GBP.  I’m not sure of the current price for teak in my country (UK) but some others may have an idea. Do you have any idea of the quantity of wood they are quoting for. Also does the price include the carpenters time to make the bed? The labor costs may be considerably different in India than it is in the US for instance.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how much wood they are using... Yes, the price is an overall estimate of the wood + labour charges... 

10 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Last time I bought teak in the US it was $25 per bdft.  If I needed 100 bdft for a bed that’s $2500 for the wood.  Given teak grows in India I would say you are getting a good price but you need to compare locally to be sure.  I wonder how much black walnut would be in India?

I did compare locally, and some are offering to make a box-bed in 48k... and mines isn't a box-bed... so the confusion multiplies!

8 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

You would have a tough time buying a bed made from cheap veneer and particle board for $708 in the US!

haha! I am sure! But I think locally-grown wood furniture's price is going to be less. 

Maybe I should research on how to calculate wood price for furniture purposes in general. 

When I buy wood for a project I add 20 to 30% more than I need. This is a very common way for woodwork defects and splits on the ends of boards force us to go big.

Or sometimes we just like the way a bigger plank looks grain wise. 

I think if you don't absoulty trust your carpenter find a new. Last thing you want to do is drain all his or hers good energy. 

Btw the last time I bought teak it was 35 bf. This was marked from Myanmar.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the bed is here! It's a box-bed and looks lovely! I did get it for a steal-price:) I exchanged my old bed with the new one. 

Also I read two very good resources at wood-database & basic woodworking

I read a few more blogs in order to understand how to identify teak grain and estimate its price. 

But overall, you all convinced me (especially Shaneymack :D)  that I am getting it for a great price! 

IMG_5267.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Misha said:

Finally the bed is here! It's a box-bed and looks lovely! I did get it for a steal-price:) I exchanged my old bed with the new one. 

Also I read two very good resources at wood-database & basic woodworking

I read a few more blogs in order to understand how to identify teak grain and estimate its price. 

But overall, you all convinced me (especially Shaneymack :D)  that I am getting it for a great price! 

IMG_5267.JPG

Cant really see the bed, but that is one cute blanket you have there. ;-)

Enjoy the new bed!