Build Modern Coffee Table (less than $50)

Jayson

Jayson,  Using a circular saw to take multiple passes to cut a grove like you did in this project is not a safe thing to do.  Fortunately MDF is a product that has no fiber to it.  If you tried that technique in plywood or any type of lumber there is a good chance of a dangerous and harmful result.  When you are posting videos for the public to see you have to make sure that you are at all times using proper and safe techniques.

Also, I want to mention that you seem to be using this site to just post your project videos.  This forum is a place to "participate'" in the open discussion on topics posted here.  It's not meant to be a place to just drop videos into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, I B said:

The shape is interesting. I'd like to see it made out of cherry or walnut but I'm not sure the plexiglass part would go with it then.

Are you concerned with the edges of the MDF getting messed up? That stuff is pretty delicate.

Yeah if i make it again it would probably be with a harder wood. I actually dropped the mdf when making this and I had to go back and basically reconstruct the corner. 

21 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I just see blatant self promotion. 

The reason I post here is to learn and get feedback in areas where I could improve from people who are more experienced in woodworking than myself. I'm sharing a personal project of mine in the project showcase section. My intention isn't for you to subscribe (wouldn't hurt haha) i'm asking for your insight, your tag says mentor so i'm sure your very knowledgeable in woodworking. I'm posting to learn from people like you. 

19 hours ago, Chet said:

Jayson,  Using a circular saw to take multiple passes to cut a grove like you did in this project is not a safe thing to do.  Fortunately MDF is a product that has no fiber to it.  If you tried that technique in plywood or any type of lumber there is a good chance of a dangerous and harmful result.  When you are posting videos for the public to see you have to make sure that you are at all times using proper and safe techniques.

Also, I want to mention that you seem to be using this site to just post your project videos.  This forum is a place to "participate'" in the open discussion on topics posted here.  It's not meant to be a place to just drop videos into.

Okay, yeah your right my mistake. For the future if I were to cut out a section again i should only cut in the forward direction rather than going forward and then back right? 

23 minutes ago, I B said:

Everything happening around the 2:38 mark would be pucker central if you were using anything other than MDF. A router and a guide would be a better way to go. 

Yeah i know that would be the best option but i was really looking to keep my tool set simple. As long as i cut in the forward direction and keep making passes it should be fine right? 

3 hours ago, Jayson said:

i should only cut in the forward direction rather than going forward and then back right? 

It's not just going in a forward direction with the saw.  Anytime you are using the saw in this manner there are just to many opportunities to tip or tilt the saw just a little off line which will cause the blade to dig in and create a kickback and then it instantly turns in to a bad day.  Like Ice said above, it's the free hand part that can hurt you.  If you want to us the saw for that task you really need to have a straight edge secured to the work piece to make it safe.

3 hours ago, Jayson said:

i was really looking to keep my tool set simple.

I understand this thinking and a lot of times there are multiple ways to do a job.  But when it comes to working safely it's best to follow the adage  "the best tool for the Job".  You personally also have to remember that If you are going to post your videos to the public you have to except some responsibilities as far as safety goes or you will continue to get called on it where ever you post. 

The other thing you will realize is that woodworking is not a cheap hobby.  You can continue to do projects that allow you to use just the tools you already have but that will most definitely stunt your growth as a woodworker, there is only so far that you can progress with what you have.  I am not telling you to run out and spend lots of money on a kit of tools.  You want to do projects that advance your skills.  Pick a project and look at it and think, what are the tools that I need to do that properly and safely.

• Thanks 1

Frank I had thought of mentioning that but didn't because I have never used on on MDF,  the material  the OP was using.  Have you tried it on MDF?  Seems to me it would tear-out easily from the sides.  But again I have never tried it.

4 hours ago, Chet said:

Frank I had thought of mentioning that but didn't because I have never used on on MDF,  the material  the OP was using.  Have you tried it on MDF?  Seems to me it would tear-out easily from the sides.  But again I have never tried it.

MDF does tearout easily, but it's not hard to avoid by just keeping the knife pointed straight down the road. Doesn't seem to kill the edge too quickly either cause MDF is so soft in the middle. Well, it does dull it, but it even works on MDF when dull.