Wormy Chestnut match?

Jeremy Carlsten

My friend recently bought a house in for closure, it has these beautiful wormy Chestnut built in cabinets. However the previous owner took all of the shelves and some of the doors. They have enough doors left to fill the bottom so that looks nice.

What would you guys use for all of the shelves? I'm understanding that wormy Chestnut is hard to find and expensive.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

When i made cabinets for my kitchen in my previous house i did a prefinished plywood for the shelves with a thin piece of wood gluded to the edge. My current house the shelves are particle board with a similar edge treatment. Grain and color wise Chestnut is going to be hard to match. Elm comes to mind but that againisn't an easy wood to find. Ash can be similar grain wise in some species but it's going to be differentin color.

I would use something close for the shelves and add a strip of wormy chestnut on the front edge for appearance.

Over the years I have built matching replacement drawers for foreclosure & rental homes. Matching the molding patterns isn't that hard but the finish can be tricky. I think if someone is facing eviction they take the drawer rather than pack the silverware & utensils. Taking shelves & doors almost seems spiteful.

Find some hardwood, apply stain and a topcoat. Who said you have to match the shelves to the exterior? Besides it will look sexy . I replaced some pantry shelves with steamed flame birch and coated them with a good drying oil. Man, tell you what, that pantry looked classy!

-Ace-