Pine floor refurbish

KDickson

Hi guys -- I'm about to sand and finish a pine floor in my kitchen. We did it 14 years ago with two coats of clear poly and now it needs to be redone as the poly is wearing off. Poly was a good choice for a kitchen floor which gets mopped fairly frequently (I try not to use much water). But I'm wondering if there is a product that would seal as well as poly without turning the wood so yellow?

You could try a waterbased floor poly. I'm assuming that you used an oil based version before. Water based will require more coats to build a good film but should be just as durable once cured. Water based poly will not yellow like an oil based poly does.

https://www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/Wood-Floor-Techniques-101/finishing-your-floors.html

I used this website for a lot of flooring information. They have recomendations on finishes as well. I want to specifically call out the section on Maintenance The number 2 item is to recoat before you wear through so you don't have to sand the whole floor to bare wood and start over.

Edited by Chestnut
Clairification
  • Like 1

Good advice on recoating before you wear through but too late! We have been renting our house for the last 11 yrs while we were living abroad and just moved back into it so a resanding will be necessary - but luckily it won't need much and the room isn't very large!

1 hour ago, KDickson said:

Good advice on recoating before you wear through but too late! We have been renting our house for the last 11 yrs while we were living abroad and just moved back into it so a resanding will be necessary - but luckily it won't need much and the room isn't very large!

Ahh yeah don't have much control if you weren't living there. Search around that website they have a lot of good tips on how to use sanders ect.

I've never found anything that won't change the color Some.  The one thing that I've found that changes it the least, is to use Bona Naturale as the first coat.  On Oak, Naturale looks like nothing at all is on the wood, but it does bring out some color on Pine.  It won't change the color anywhere nearly as dark as any Polyurethane, and especially not as much as a Moisture Cure Urethane will.   It's a commercial floor finish, used even in hotel lobbies, so very durable, but they don't give it to you.

Naturale is supposedly low VOC, but it is an acid cure urethane, and you should wear a respirator when applying.  It dries REALLY FAST.  Like all the Bona finishes, it's really easy to apply.  You just flood it on, and push it around with a squeegee made for that job.

It is expensive, and I don't think sold in less than a gallon size.  As just the first coat, you won't need anything like a gallon for even a very large kitchen.  It does keep for several years though, just mix it in something other than the jug it comes in.   The little bottle of activator has graduations on the side.

I have used Bona Traffic HD as the top coats on the last PIne floors I did, but that's been a few years ago, and the product names may have even changed by now.

There is also another German company, very much in favor in the floor finishing industry now, but I'm not remembering the name.

You didn't say where you are, but if you have a Lowes near you, the Varathane ROS floor finishing machine they rent is fairly fast, safe for a Pine floor, and easy to use.  It's just really heavy to move.  Follow their instructions on how many disks of paper to buy, and even buy more to start with, since returns of whole packages are so easy at Lowes, and you'll be taking the machine back anyway.

The only place I know that sells it retail is Horizon Forest Products, a pro floor store.  You can find it cheaper online, but it's still not cheap.   I think the last I bought was something like $115 a gallon.  I wish they sold it in quarts, because I'd use it a lot more, if they did.

edited to add:   looks like it's gone up since I bought it:

https://www.amazon.com/Bona-Traffic-Naturale-Commercial-Matte/dp/B0083HXE8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521161991&sr=8-1&keywords=bona+naturale

On 16/03/2018 at 12:24 AM, Tom King said:

There is also another German company, very much in favor in the floor finishing industry now, but I'm not remembering the name.

If you remember send me the info please,

I have 350 m2 to do in a few months.