Swingset finish

PWRFULZ3R0

In a couple days I’m going to receive a new Gorilla swingset/playset for the kids. The instructions recommend staining or finishing within 90 days. I would like to apply something while I build it or soon after.

I’m interested in applying something clear or something with very little change in color. And it needs to be easy to apply, I’m thinking something I can spray with my HVLP. It doesn’t need to be a super long lasting finish, so long as it excepts future coats without lots of sanding.

I realize my answer might be some type of deck stain, but I have no experience with deck stains beyond Penofin for composite decking (which is awesome stuff btw).

I’ve used epiphanes in the past for outdoor furniture and loved it. But these kids need a college fund left intact!

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just put whatever the latest version of Thompson's is that has UV protection.  They change it every year or so, and I haven't looked lately.    I'd spray it with a pump sprayer, after the wooden part is assembled, but before putting all the other stuff on it.   Have a little disposable roller that you can roll out any parts you get it too thick on with the pump sprayer.  If you don't have such a pump sprayer, the HVLP will work, but will just be slow.

The bad thing about Thompson's is that it will weather away to nothing in a few years.   The good thing is that it will weather away to nothing, but it leaves nothing to have to scrape off the next time you want to put something else on it.  Just pressure wash it with bleach, let dry, and hit it again with more Thompson's.

Our house has a 38 year old Cedar Shake Roof on the original part, and this is the only treatment its ever had.   I often wait too long to recoat it, but the pressure washer cleans it right back to a like new look.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I’ve looked into the GF 450 but can’t seem to find a lot of reviews on it. Thompson’s has definitely become my contingency plan. I’ve also considered Sikkens cetol srd but it has mixed reviews.

I spoke with Rocker and now I’m reconsidering a spar varnish of some sort. He suggested spraying it. Any reason this won’t work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one of these "cedar" playsets for my kids a few years back. Same thing in the instructions to seal it within 90 days. I decided to do it before assembly. It is was a PITA but I could work at my own pace with out concern of weather and/or climbing around a kids playset to get every nook and cranny.

I would also suggest to use something with at least some pigment in it. it will last much longer than the clear.

On the playset I bought I used Thompsons semi transparent. I picked the one I felt was closest to the color that came on the playset. It has held up as well as expected. When.If I redo it i will probably use Sikkens. I have used that product on a few other outdoor projects and really like it.

i guess in a long winded version what I am saying is prefinish it if at all possible. Also, good luck with assembly!

Don't spray with an HVLP your gonna waste so much product and will put it on too thin, you want to apply good and wet.  Like Tom suggested, use a pump sprayer and if the wood is somewhat smooth. Go buy a pack of those staining sponges. One had apply the coating from the pump sprayer and the other hand with the stain pad wet with coating and back-wipe the coating in. General Finishes 450 would get my vote. 

-Ace-