what to do with a bandsaw when not in use??

bullson

hi all :D

i have finally got round to getting myself a bandsaw for the first time B)... having got the hang of using a bandsaw and setting everything up as i should eg drift angle i was left with a nice smile on my face... you know the smile that says "i've just got a new tools" :D

however i am a hobby woodworker who is a uni and sometimes i can be to busy to get into the shop and turn a big piece of wood into a small piece of wood ;):lol:<_< ... i was told by a friend that’s it not a good idea to leave the blade tensioned up for long periods of time without using it. so i decide to use the quick de-tense leaver (that is meant to be used to change the blade) in order to slacken the blade.

is tis a good idea because i'm concerned that it will mess up the drift angle it the blade tension up in a slightly different place each time. also does it do any damage to the blade itself i.e. the tensioning and un-tensioning once a week :blink:

any advice it much appreciated

I think that releasing the tension on an idle bandsaw is one of those things that might help and can't hurt, so why not. I do it when I think about it for essentially the same reason Vic mentioned ... to keep the blade from deforming the tires in a non-uniform way. Aside from that, I don't personally think it matters very much whether you do or don't.

-- Russ

I've always read it's a good idea to take the tension off the blade when it's not in use. I'm hit or miss on doing it though.

I bought a crank handle for the blade tensioner on mine (no tension release arm on my old Jet) and when i remember too I just crank it down two times, then when I want to use it I just crank it back up exactly twice to get to working tension. Honestly, a lot of the time I forget to do it. I'm pretty sure it will have a detrimental effect on the blade and maybe the tires after a while to leave the tension on all the time though...

-Jim

Btw, in David Marks BS video, he uses a high tension approach to the BS and never releases the tension. So, like Rick was saying, I don't see where it will hurt a well made BS. I only do it to save the rubbers on the wheels and I'm not sure it actually does any harm if I don't. It's just easy for me to do.

You know what? This is a great question, because I have asked myself how I should approach this subject.

I have had my bandsaw for a handful of years and it has seen very little use. I left the blade tensioned on it for that whole time(about 5 years).

Recently I decided to take better care of my tools and I finally came to the bandsaw for a "tune up". I have not had much success with the saw in the past except for cutting curves in thinner stock(not resawing)

Well, after getting the saw tuned up and actually learning about the saw, I got it running SSSmmmoooooooooth and with more power (the drive belt was loose and slipping, which I didn't realize until I learned about the saw). I found the reciept for the saw when my Father-in-law bought it new in 1997. It still has the original tires on it! I don't know how my FIL approached the tension of the saw but I had it tensioned for all those years with little use and the tires are still crowned (14" Delta) and no other noticable ill effect from leaving it that way for so long.

Would I say that it is okay to leave it that way now? Probably not, only because I am aware of the potential for damage to the machine now.

Now my approach is to release the tension after each time I use it, but now I am trying to build a habit of doing that. So now, whenever I go use use the bandsaw, I forget that I have released the tension and it is a TERRIBLE noise to hear it start up, and the nice new sharp blade grind to a sudeden stop when the blade rides off of the wheels and into the gaurd! OUCH!

What I am saying is, IF you decide to practice releasing the tension of the saw, REMEMBER to re-tension it BEFORE you turn the saw on again. I haven't got into the habit of checking that consistantly yet and it is a startling sound when it does happen.

I need to come up with a system of reminding myself that the blade is not under tension. I am using my bandsaw most time that I head into the shop these days and I am now wondering how I got along so long without it, just sitting there idle? It's just like I have a new tool too!

I have been flipping the tensioning lever when I plug the BS in and out too. Somehow never thought about wrapping the cord around the lever. I am going to do that so I never forget. Also, I always check to make sure my safety equipment is on when I plug in a tool. Its a good habit and seems to be working for me.