should I buy it

man of wood

Ok, here is the low down on that lathe. It is a copy of the Jet 1236 machine. Swivel head, Reeves drive. Its a light weight machine. The lowest speed is 510rpm. Depending on what you are wanting to turn, this could be way to fast. I feel $400 is to much money for this lathe used. More like $200 IMHO. Are they including any accessories with the lathe? Does it have the knock out bar? Drive spur, Live Center? Any tooling? Face Plate?

One of the most desirable features on a lathe is Variable Speed. If you plan on doing bowls, you will want to go way slower than 510rpm. The slower the better until you get it round and balanced.

If you could provide some more information on what you want to turn, we may be able to help you out better.

For just a little bit more money, consider this machine.

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-708375vs-jml-1014vsi--10-in-x-14-in-1-2-hp-variable-speed-indexing-mini-lathe/jetn708375vs,default,pd.html?ref=froogle708375vs&zmam=31282435&zmas=11&zmac=56&zmap=708375vs&ctype=2&gclid=CK7RlaSq9qYCFcjsKgod3gEhDg

There are several mini lathes that are excellent machines and will do a very nice job for you. I started on the Jet 1236 lathe, but after getting more proficient with it, found it just wasn't capable of doing what I needed it to do. And have since upgraded to a much better machine.

HTH,

Roger

Ok, here is the low down on that lathe. It is a copy of the Jet 1236 machine. Swivel head, Reeves drive. Its a light weight machine. The lowest speed is 510rpm. Depending on what you are wanting to turn, this could be way to fast. I feel $400 is to much money for this lathe used. More like $200 IMHO. Are they including any accessories with the lathe? Does it have the knock out bar? Drive spur, Live Center? Any tooling? Face Plate?

One of the most desirable features on a lathe is Variable Speed. If you plan on doing bowls, you will want to go way slower than 510rpm. The slower the better until you get it round and balanced.

If you could provide some more information on what you want to turn, we may be able to help you out better.

For just a little bit more money, consider this machine.

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-708375vs-jml-1014vsi--10-in-x-14-in-1-2-hp-variable-speed-indexing-mini-lathe/jetn708375vs,default,pd.html?ref=froogle708375vs&zmam=31282435&zmas=11&zmac=56&zmap=708375vs&ctype=2&gclid=CK7RlaSq9qYCFcjsKgod3gEhDg

There are several mini lathes that are excellent machines and will do a very nice job for you. I started on the Jet 1236 lathe, but after getting more proficient with it, found it just wasn't capable of doing what I needed it to do. And have since upgraded to a much better machine.

HTH,

Roger

Great info, I'm looking for a big lathe. I have never turned before, I do a lot of woodwork and just looking to add to what I do. I'm sure I would want to turn bowls at one point. here is the ad. Thank you for your input, it is a lot better than "just buy it"

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/2199605979.html

Great info, I'm looking for a big lathe. I have never turned before, I do a lot of woodwork and just looking to add to what I do. I'm sure I would want to turn bowls at one point. here is the ad. Thank you for your input, it is a lot better than "just buy it"

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/2199605979.html

Seriously, consider a variable speed mini lathe, build a bench to put it on, and bolt that sucker down. Electronic Variable speed on a Big lathe, will run you between 1500 to a whole buncha bux. You didnt say what you are willing to spend. A lot of turners make the same mistake I did and buy an entry level lathe, only to upgrade in a few years. Mini lathes retain their value fairly well, esp with VS. When it comes to that time you want to upgrade, you can either sell it, or keep it to do small items.

I still contend that the lathe is the cheap part of turning. Its all the accessories that you need/want that cost lots of money.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Roger

Seriously, consider a variable speed mini lathe, build a bench to put it on, and bolt that sucker down. Electronic Variable speed on a Big lathe, will run you between 1500 to a whole buncha bux. You didnt say what you are willing to spend. A lot of turners make the same mistake I did and buy an entry level lathe, only to upgrade in a few years. Mini lathes retain their value fairly well, esp with VS. When it comes to that time you want to upgrade, you can either sell it, or keep it to do small items.

I still contend that the lathe is the cheap part of turning. Its all the accessories that you need/want that cost lots of money.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Roger

Roger,

Thank you so much for your input. The projects I make range from small frames to large cabinets; I am all over the board. I like and understand what you say about starting out with a mini lathe. I guest my question is, does the benefits of learning on a small lathe out weigh the fact my funs don't support step ups, will it be too small to make a legs, or any thing other than pens? ( the pen comment is joking but makes the point I hope). I guest I need to look into mini lathes more to find out about them. I have a project 6 feed long in mind. This is something that would be way in the future......... Waaaaaay in the future (years if needed)......... I know the lathe would have to have support wheels, the tail would have to be pushed out and the big one..... I will have to learn how to turn. That is just it, I love just working those things out, and it does not matter how long it takes.... I'm not making money on this stuff, just spending time in the shop. patients is very strong with me and I will keep looking for that balance between what I want, need, the best tool and a good deal. I don't plan on buying the lathe on craigs list based on the info i have learned about it. My search for a lathe has been about 7 months now and that is ok. The hunt is fun and I learn a lot about the tools, meet good people, and have a tool I like.

Note: The 6ft, project is just something I have in mind, there is will be hundreds of turning in front of it. Bowls..... what is a good slow speed for a lathe? (range) reading my letter it seem I'm looking for a large lathe, but I will look a the minis, I should not have a closed mind it them.

Thank you again and please keep the inputs coming, they are very helpful.

Thomas

Take a close look at the new Delta Midi lathes. 12" swing and varible speed. Also the turncrafter from Pen State, http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mini-lathes.html. They also offer a 12' variable speed and bed extension packages. I started with a 10" Delta and regret that varible speed was not an option at the time. I found a Craftsman workbench with a heavy wood top and drawers on Craigs list that works great with my lathe bolted on top. Keep in mind that you will spend up to a grand (or much more!) on accessories that you will want/need. Of course you will need tooling and some method of sharpening. 8" slow speed grinder and Wolverine fixturing seems to be the standerd for most experienced turners. You will want a chuck. I have 2 Super Nova II chucks and they work great. They have many styles of replaceable jaws and feature an insert for adapting to most lathes. A live center is also needed and the kit made by Oneway is one of the most versatile available. And of course, a face shield. Consider visiting a local turning club as many offer mentoring and/or your local woodworking supply store may offer classes. Like most endevers, getting started with the correct techniques will save you time, material, and possibly your sanity!

The bench lathe I have (house brand mini) accepts bed extensions. Or, at least, it was engineered to a few years ago. I opted for it over the full size for several reasons, most importantly price. The bed extension helps in longer projects, but the bowls (if that's your desire) are limited to the distance from the center to the bed, of course.

the lathe came with the 4 spur center and the live center tail stock. I've put a few items on the wish list, but I'm focusing on Nova's brand for consistency.

I have a 6" grinder, and made a version of the Wolverine sharpening jig out of some OSB scraps. It clamps to the table, so I don't have rapid adjustability, but it works well so far. I'm working on a dowel-based fingernail jig to go with this sharpening jig, but that's still a few months away. I also drilled out a hole in the end to store the diamond dressing tool while working. I keep the grinder on the same bench as the lathe for easy sharpening, but you might like the "L" layout. Whatever sharpener system you use, keep it nearby when turning.

I also purchased some leather and some jeweler's rouge from Tandy Leather (any leather supply will do, Tandy is within a mile of me) to strop the ends of the chisels/gouges when I'm done. It works best on the flat scrapers and skews, but you can use it on the bowl gouges with some finagling.

As for tools, those are the one thing you will go through more than anything else. Depending on how much you turn, of course, it can take six months to six years to go through one particular tool. I've used Harbor Freight's turning tools and they are not horrible. Not great, but not horrible. You can spend anywhere from $20 to $200 on any one tool. Don't feel you have to buy a brand only, as you might find one tool out of a style works better than another style. I like the Sorby Sovereign system, due primarily because you get the handle (with optional add-ons) and replace the gouges and scrapers instead of complete tools. But you pay for the name and quality.

• 3 months later...

Don't do it!! I have the G0642 and its a great beginner lathe for the price but now that I have had it for a while I wish i had never bought it. Seeing as this is a lesser-quality lathe I would save up and buy the Jet 1642 or the Grizzly clone of it; Jet also makes good mini lathes and the Delta mini looks even better. That is all depending on what you want to turn however once you get sucked into the woodturning vortex there is no ESCAPE! It's extremely fun and gratifying. Bowls 8-12" in diameter should turn from about 300-500rpm really big bowls 14" and up should go at about 100-300 rpm. Another concern is the of purchasing chisels and accessories such as a drill and a 4-jaw chucks. Pennstate Industries has some decent chisels and chucks for a good price.

Thank you I have heard much the same from others,,,,,,, I thank you all, this is a good site.

Man of Wood

Don't do it!! I have the G0642 and its a great beginner lathe for the price but now that I have had it for a while I wish i had never bought it. Seeing as this is a lesser-quality lathe I would save up and buy the Jet 1642 or the Grizzly clone of it; Jet also makes good mini lathes and the Delta mini looks even better. That is all depending on what you want to turn however once you get sucked into the woodturning vortex there is no ESCAPE! It's extremely fun and gratifying. Bowls 8-12" in diameter should turn from about 300-500rpm really big bowls 14" and up should go at about 100-300 rpm. Another concern is the of purchasing chisels and accessories such as a drill and a 4-jaw chucks. Pennstate Industries has some decent chisels and chucks for a good price.