Tariff hits tools...

Minnesota Steve

Grizzly is applying targeted tariff pricing on tools coming from China.  The Grizzly G0490 jointer just increased in price $200, and the G0490X by $300...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

And if it hasn't yet shipped, the price just jumped up even on backordered items:

http://www.grizzly.com/customerservice#ordering/2018-tariffs/12ba4123-85aa-4f79-ae44-c2e9632bc399

It's mostly just that G0490 impacted... most of the other jointers are not.(probably made in Taiwan).   A lot of Grizzly lathes seem to now have tariffs.   I didn't see any table saws or planers.

Powermatic and Jet seem to have increased many items by a small amount.   I noticed the Jet JJ-6CSDX just went up in price about $50, same with the Powermatic PM54A.   The Powermatic PM60 line went up about $100.   Jet JJP-12 just went up $100.   It also looks like the PM1000 and PM2000 table saws might have gone up slightly, but I haven't watched those prices that closely so don't know.   Looks like Powermatic/Jet might have just increased prices across the board to offset whatever tariff costs they're seeing.

Anyone notice any other price changes?

Grizzly announced maybe a month ago all Chinese machines would see a straight 25% on the 6th and all other machines 5% due to increased raw material costs.  This includes most of the cheaper jointers and planers.   The 690/691 TS is made in China (the 1023 is made in Taiwan) and its price has not gone up BUT it was in stock prior to the 6th so I guess they are selling stock at the current price and will go up when they sell out of the old machines.  There 14"+ bandsaws are all from Taiwan.  I noticed many of their sanders also went up.  

I like that they didn't just sweep it under the rug. I suppose the nature of their company they can't though. They increase their prices by 25%-30% they are going to get endless calls complaining. Sucks for those on backorder.... hope people call their representatives to complain instead of grizzly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HuxleyWood said:

Grizzly announced maybe a month ago all Chinese machines would see a straight 25% on the 6th and all other machines 5% due to increased raw material costs.  This includes most of the cheaper jointers and planers.   The 690/691 TS is made in China (the 1023 is made in Taiwan) and its price has not gone up BUT it was in stock prior to the 6th so I guess they are selling stock at the current price and will go up when they sell out of the old machines.  There 14"+ bandsaws are all from Taiwan.  I noticed many of their sanders also went up.  

Good explanation.   I like that the company isn't just blanket applying tariff to still in stock machines.   Good on them.

Selfishly happy to see the prices go up. Im thinking about selling my 12" ultimate jointer, and their 609 kinda squeezes the used market price for me. I read enough about twisted beds etc., but still that was a really affordable new 12" machine prior to the 6th. Now it just went up $700+.