Another Broken Bandsaw Blade

Chestnut

36 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I’ve had good luck with the 5/8” Laguna blade in my 1412 but can’t imagine what would be causing you to go through blades. A puzzler and irritation for sure. 

I’ve used 1/4 to 3/4 Timberwolf blades too with no problems, from small curves to resawing small logs. (Insert shrug emoji here)

Idk I've talked to a lot of people far more knowledgeable in this area than myself and it's been a head scratcher. The one thing that can be agreed on is that there may be some sore of defect in the backing material for a batch of blades. Might also be why they replace it so quickly without question.

I can't imagine making a blade like this falls into the easy category. Brazing all the teeth on the blade with out over heating the band causing it to become brittle. Don't heat enough and the brazing doesn't work.

Like i said to a salesperson at rockler. If it wasn't for the astounding cut quality i'd have abandoned the blade a LONG LONG time ago. Now I'm debating upping to a 16" or 18" saw to see if the wheel size is the culprit. Just not sure if I can get a 16" or an 18" saw in my shop. Do i keep my 14" saw? I can't very well sell it for more than $800 because any one that looks at it will say for more than that they'll go buy a new 14/12 or similar. at $800 i'd rather keep my 14bx but then where does it go in my shop .... life is rough cause these are my biggest problems (sarcasm). :D

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

...Now I'm debating upping to a 16" or 18" saw to see if the wheel size is the culprit. Just not sure if I can get a 16" or an 18" saw in my shop. Do i keep my 14" saw? I can't very well sell it for more than $800 because any one that looks at it will say for more than that they'll go buy a new 14/12 or similar. at $800 i'd rather keep my 14bx but then where does it go in my shop .... life is rough cause these are my biggest problems (sarcasm). :D

Wheel size was my first thought but it appears folks are running these blades on 14" saws without the same issues so i don't know. I can say the band thickness of those blades is thicker than any other BS blades I own. I haven't had issues with mine on the 16" saw when I use it.

For $800 i'd find  a corner for it and put a curve blade on it. My 1412 works awesome for that any other resawing or such go through the 16HD.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Wheel size was my first thought but it appears folks are running these blades on 14" saws without the same issues so i don't know. I can say the band thickness of those blades is thicker than any other BS blades I own. I haven't had issues with mine on the 16" saw when I use it.

For $800 i'd find  a corner for it and put a curve blade on it. My 1412 works awesome for that any other resawing or such go through the 16HD.

I haven't found the RK backer to be a different size compared to the woodslicer and proforce 1/2" blades. I have only had to reset the thrust guides when ever i change between those 3 blades.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I haven't found the RK backer to be a different size compared to the woodslicer and proforce 1/2" blades. I have only had to reset the thrust guides when ever i change between those 3 blades.

I stand corrected I went out and measured and the bands are the same thickness I have another blade that is about twice as thick but not even sure whose it is I thought it was the RK but it wasn't.