Japanese Plane Shrinkage

Quijote

I am relatively new at hand tool woodworking and I am trying different styles of hand planes to see what I like to see which direction I want to go. Well, this weekend I picked up a 50mm Japanese plane at Woodcraft. I went to take it apart to tune it and the chip breaker came out, but the wood around the iron must have dried enough that I am unable to move it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. 

I thought about introducing it into a moist environment for a few days to make the wood swell, but I was worried about the iron rusting. I also considered trying to lightly tap it with something soft or using pliers to grab the end of the blade and pull it out, but I quickly dismissed those because I was worried about damaging the blade. 

Any help you can give me will be appreciated. 

Oh, and I forgot to say, it is white oak. 

I would try using something like a screwdriver, and put the point of it 90* to the blade, in the center of the blade and give it a good tap or two.  If it's stuck to the white oak body, those couple of taps may just loosen it without damaging anything, except a little ding in the blade, which you are unlikely ever get to in your sharpening program.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2018 at 6:58 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Have you given the heel of the plane a few sharp taps, like to adjust the depth, but more forceful? The sudden jar of the impact may loosen it where a straight pull won't.

I did. Upon closer inspection, it looks like someone had bought it before me. They tried to install the iron bevel up, and use it before properly tuning it. The rounded end of the iron has a couple marks like they really hammered it in there. 

I tried the other 2 methods mentioned above and no luck. I am considering just returning it and maybe get a different one at a later time. I will make sure to let them know about the problem though to so no one else has the same problem as me. 

• Like 1