compare Sargent v Bailey #6

collinb

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Aside from the small design differences you mentioned, what would you say about the build quality? Pretty close?

Really no difference in build quality. The knob & tote are both solid. The cast iron weighs about the same. The lever cap holds everything down firmly.

Both appear to still have their original blades. They sharpened up well enough. The cap iron on the Bailey may be a little heftier/stiffer. But overall they're a very similar design and composition.

From what I can gather the Sargent is from the 40s and the Bailey is from the early 20th c., about 25 years apart.

Again, as a hand plane novice this is part of my learning experience. I like to try things out for myself. "Buy once" works on may things but when it comes to an item where "feel" is part of function there are times when experimentation is necessary.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no Bailey planes but I do have an old Sargent fore plane similar to the one you show there. Since I'm 6'5" tall my larger hands like it a lot. But I have a few cheapie planes (Kobalt) I've struggled with and a couple L-N planes I love so yeah, the spectrum is very wide!

I have a tiny Stanley plane and a Stanley spoke shave, nothing remarkable about either of them; they seem to do the trick. 

Sharpening and adjustment is 75% of a hand plane's utility.