New project with crazy angles

rodger.

The Rapid Fuse is a strong permanent bond. Commercial millwork shops use it to build raised panel cabinet doors. If you cut a bunch of " V " shaped thin pieces to glue inside the vertices it would go together  pretty quickly and be much stronger. Maybe 1/8" ply would work. You would need 3 per intersection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wdwerker said:

The Rapid Fuse is a strong permanent bond. Commercial millwork shops use it to build raised panel cabinet doors. If you cut a bunch of " V " shaped thin pieces to glue inside the vertices it would go together  pretty quickly and be much stronger. Maybe 1/8" ply would work. You would need 3 per intersection.

I'm going to pick up a tube of this stuff and see how it works. Thanks.

This is it, correct?

https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/rapid-fuse-all-purpose-adhesive/

That's the fast set version. The slower set version has a red label & cap. It's slightly thicker and gives you a few minutes to align parts.10- 15 minutes & it's fairly well set. Sets slower when cold, faster when it's hot. Acetone to get it off your fingers. 4oz is $10 US  it goes a long way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

That's the fast set version. The slower set version has a red label & cap. It's slightly thicker and gives you a few minutes to align parts.10- 15 minutes & it's fairly well set. Sets slower when cold, faster when it's hot. Acetone to get it off your fingers. 4oz is $10 US  it goes a long way.

Great! Thanks for the advice!

Hi, Roger, you didn't mention the types of speakers you are using or the volume levels it will be required to produce. If it will be required to provide low frequencies at a moderate to high volume, the pressures inside the cabinet can be considerable. I suggest you give thought to splining your joints where the pieces come together or use a glue block on the back. If you are making each pentagon from plywood, this won't be as important since you would have a lot of long grain on each side.

I don't think I phrased that right, but you should get the idea. I've built a bunch of speakers cabs and still marvel at their ability to break themselves apart if you crank the volume or the base control.

I hope you let use know how they sound. The internal reflections should be crazy!

8 hours ago, Robby W said:

Hi, Roger, you didn't mention the types of speakers you are using or the volume levels it will be required to produce. If it will be required to provide low frequencies at a moderate to high volume, the pressures inside the cabinet can be considerable. I suggest you give thought to splining your joints where the pieces come together or use a glue block on the back. If you are making each pentagon from plywood, this won't be as important since you would have a lot of long grain on each side.

I don't think I phrased that right, but you should get the idea. I've built a bunch of speakers cabs and still marvel at their ability to break themselves apart if you crank the volume or the base control.

I hope you let use know how they sound. The internal reflections should be crazy!

Thanks for the advice, but this won't be a speaker enclosure. It's for a light fixture. If you built dodecahedron speakers boxes, I would love to see them!

If you are filling the openings with glass that will add an enormous amount of  rigidity . I glue glass into cabinet doors with Lexcel clear caulk. It smooths & cleans up with mineral spirits. Might take a couple days to completely dry. Remains slightly flexible but never peels out like silicone often does. I've got glass in doors 25 years done this way & it never rattles. Greatly strengthens the door too. A tiny bead or even dots would hold the glass in place.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47