On each side of cathedral grain is straight grain, generally it's called rift grain or quartersawn. But it's straight and just looks better in the visible parts of a build. And won't expand and contract as much.
They will be the trickiest part of the build because those curved cut outs are land on another curve and that panel is held in with a long tenon.
Although the straight grain will be more stable, I really don't think it makes a difference structurally. Ultimately, it was just the look I was going for. The legs in the Chest of Drawers as well as the Shaker tables were all pulled from straight grain material.
I completed the finish process on the table two weeks ago and then the table just sat in the shop because of other things asking for my time. This morning I finally got the old table out and the new one into the house. It came in, in two pieces. For one it is heavy, and two logistically it was just the easier way. Down side to this is the tight space and lighting didn't lend itself to good pictures but here it is.
Any and all comments and constructive criticism are welcome.
One of the challenges of the project was to get the finish close to the same as the chairs we had purchased and over all I think I came real close. I don't think anybody off the street would know that the table was built separate from the chairs, but I will let you be the judge and let me know what you think.
Thanks for your comments. I may put the boards in my garage, somewhere near the small vent from my central AC to the garage. There'd be occasional airflow, at least, when the AC runs. Regarding stickers, some of the online information I found actually suggests doubling-up the stickers at the ends of the wood, to slow the endgrain drying even a bit more beyond what the sealant (in my case, latex paint) might do. So, I plan to do that as well.