Walnut & Curly Maple Rocking Chair

joe mendel

On 1/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Can't argue with that finish, it is beautiful!

After 43 chairs, I bet you can just about make one blindfolded...

Does the 27 hours include all the time spent laying out your sight lines on the seat, or do you have a template for that, too?

When I make them I make six at a time, two cherry, two walnut, and two walnut and curly maple.  Everything has a jig/fixture to provide economy of time and repeatability.  Every spindle has a very specific length and accurate angle of inclination which are drilled precisely.  It took four practice chairs, (actually the forth came out right and got used), with multiple holes which got plugged and re-drilled until they were as they needed to be. 

Twenty-seven hours to make a rocker is: a month to make the six (6 x 27 = 162 hours or a month).  I do this twice a year before the winter holiday season and the spring holiday season.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:00 PM, Coop said:

That is SWEET! 

Turps being turpentine? 

Yes. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, joe mendel said:

Only those who buy my rockers seem to be good with the purchase price of this handmade chair.  It has been my experience over the past 40+ years of doing this craft, that many people, (woodworkers especially), become indignant with my prices.  I sell in three select locations where price is never the deciding factor in the purchase of a rocker.

Lets just say that I get a comparable hourly rate as a top flight auto mechanic.

You should definitely charge what your time and talent is worth. No complaints from me. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:14 PM, Jonathan McCully said:

You should definitely charge what your time and talent is worth. No complaints from me. 

I was not trying to be obtuse, but there is so much overhead involved with the process, that the bottom line price must cover.   Shop rent, gallery employees, cost of materials, transportation, and don't forget my salary.  Topics I have discussed openly in business groups, but this is a venue where I just show the results, not the business aspect.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joe mendel said:

I was not trying to be obtuse, but there is so much overhead involved with the process, that the bottom line price must cover.   Shop rent, gallery employees, cost of materials, transportation, and don't forget my salary.  Topics I have discussed openly in business groups, but this is a venue where I just show the results, not the business aspect.  

I can respect that. It’s an absolutely incredible looking chair.

• Like 1

Beautiful chair (and your work in general).  I admire your process, too.  I'm guessing that with your skill and experience a power tool work flow wouldn't speed things up for you much if any at all? 

I'm glad to hear that you have found a market that will reasonably compensate you for your work.

The tactile joy of using a hand plane or spoke shaves really is enjoyable.   I hate sand paper, and use if mostly as a finishing room process.  The lack of sawdust by using a sharp card scraper is also infinitely better than particulates floating in the air.  When I am making a half dozen or more rockers at a time, I will use a curved grinder to remove 90% of the material, then finish up with hand tools.  Economy of time has to come before my enjoyment in an effort to keep the lights on in the shop.

• Like 2

Yes, I am in the Buffalo area.  However, I got my under graduate degree from The University of Michigan, so unless I want my degree nullified I am obligated to being a Tom Brady fan.  That being said, I am a baseball fan.   I have no idea why everyone was sitting outside last Saturday in Orchard Park freezing their collective fannies off watching a game when I was inside toasty warm watching on a high def 55-inch screen. 

• Like 2

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e