Inlay Around Table Top

Ronn W

I am trying to figure out a way to inlay a decorative banding in the edge of a ¾” table top (on the vertical face of the table edge).  Bandings come in various thickness from 1/32” to 1/8”.  Banding widths could be from ¼” to ½”.  How do I cut or route the dado into which the banding will be glued.  The dado has to be of a depth so that the banding lays just proud of the surface too allow to a little sanding.  I have looked at slot cutting and dado router bits with various sized bearings and none will allow a cut depth of less than 1/8”.  That’s too deep.  

Also I am looking at the possibility of making a pattern for the table top.  Maybe I could use the pattern in combination with router bushings to 1)cut the table top itself and 2) cut the dado using a different bushing and the same pattern. 

Just to make the problem more interesting lets say that the table top is not a rectangle but has curved or serpentine sides.

Any ideas?

Here is a table with edge banding.

6288606.jpeg.0475a99edb0f64a4ef175368cb252435.jpeg

On 12/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, BonPacific said:

s this what you're looking for? Looks like they're intended for composite, but would probably work for wood as long as you're careful with your speeds.

That may do it.  Thanks.  since it is freud, I may have other diameter bearings so I can change the depth of cut.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The top is supported by being notched into the legs so, just to make things more complicated, the next step is to dry fit the bench together, scribe lines around the legs and chisel out dados in the legs so that the banding will also wrap around the legs.