Forum activity??

derekcohen

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wood Barter. For me it's a like having a whole crew in the shop with me. WAY more posts than here and the same kind of camaraderie, plus a lot of buying and selling and trading of wood.

I don't do facebook or twitter or any of the social media crap, but I spend a huge amount of time on Wood Barter (full disclosure, I moderate the wood identification forum). You guys should try it out. Woodtalkonline is a good forum but the traffic is too low to get people's attention.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jar944 said:

Facebook and Instagram won out. Forums are for all intents are mostly dead. 

Dead is a relative term. Forums still get a decent amount of traffic, once you compare it to the social media giants it seems minuscule. While activity has declined there are still quite a few posts and new threads here a day.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, drzaius said:

I am of the humble (or maybe not) opinion that facebook is a terrible substitute for a forum. If you compare the content of the content here vs the WoodWhisperer facebook group, well, there's just no comparison. The facebook group is just a huge time suck trying to find content of any value. Similar results with other types of forums/groups.

No disagreement there. You can learn a lot from a long and sometimes off topic thread. It's also easily found again and referenced if needed.  None of that works on ig of fb, but that is where people are. 

I often can't find a hour old fb post I wanted to reply to (but refreshed automatically out of my feed) without 5-10 minutes of searching.  Forget finding something from a month ago.

That said you can find the exact topic you are interested in on fb and just join the 27 groups that are dedicated to that obscure thing you are interested in.  Between those 27 groups with 30k members each you get 1000 posts a day of possibly interesting content.  

• Like 1

The SawStop group on FB has about 90% of its content comprising of the same couple of dozen questions from members who clearly know nothing about woodworking and can't be bothered to read the manual. It's fine to be a noob, but at least have the common sense to read the manual.

It is an all but useless group. It's a shame because the group owner, Trent Davis, is extremely knowledgeable about the saws and really seems like a good guy.

The WoodWhisper group does have some gems, but it's just not worth having to sift through all the turds to get to them.

Youtube probably doesn't help.  I think that's where people go for instruction and FB and IG for friends with like interests. I don't think people go to FB to learn.

And since people don't talk or look at each other in public, FB and IG are the primary mediums for socializing. Very cruel world in public nowadays.  This younger generation has destroyed everything the older generation held dear but I guess this will always be the case.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:21 PM, Mark J said:

There may be a lot of "people" there, but they are not necessarily the ones I want to spend my time with, much less get or give advice.  

This has been my experience with many other forums. Bigger (at least they were last I checked) forums like Lumberjocks and SawmillCreek are filled with way to many guys complaining about their wives or obsessing about which brand of tool is better than which other brand of tool. Two things I have basically zero patience for anymore.

As others have said, Reddit and the various social media sites are just too large for any real community to develop. You'll never remember anyone's screen name. Also just so many Amy White specials. I try not to be an elitist, and I got my start screwing whitewood boards together like a lot of folks... But it's enough to drive ya batty.

This younger generation has destroyed everything the older generation held dear but I guess this will always be the case.

Every generation will blame those that comes after them for destroying something, and those that came before for leaving them holding the bag. You can find op-eds from the 1800s with the same complaints you hear today.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Mark J said:

There may be a lot of "people" there, but they are not necessarily the ones I want to spend my time with, much less get or give advice.  

That may be the case with FB.  IG was great for finding and talking with people with similar interests and a form for getting and giving advice.  

On 5/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, BonPacific said:

This has been my experience with many other forums. Bigger (at least they were last I checked) forums like Lumberjocks and SawmillCreek are filled with way to many guys complaining about their wives or obsessing about which brand of tool is better than which other brand of tool.

Absolutely none of that on Wood Barter. Just friendly banter, good woodworking advice, and frequent drool-worth pics of wood plus the buying/selling and trading of wood.

I tried both of the forums you mentioned, quite some time back, and quickly gave up on them both. I like this forum for sure but it's very light in terms of traffic and WB is much more heavily populated so I spend most of my time there.

• Like 2

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian