Making Bow front drawers

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 2:15 PM, BillyJack said:

A lot of the  older pieces would have a flat back, but a bowed front. I feel they did that for stability..

Yeah,  I thought of that but that would make a really heavy draw front - about 2 1/2" thick in the center.  12/4 lumber? Thinking out loud>>>>>>I could glue 2 or 3 boards together to get the thickness.  Joints won't show if I veneer the outside.  It would give me a nice reference surface for cuttting the drawer to final width and it would make laying out the dovetails much easier.  Then, I could hog (resaw) out the back of the drawer with the band saw and sand it smooth.  Yeah, if I do this again I may just take your suggestion.  Making the fronts curved- laminated has created all kinds of extra work and challenges because I don't have good reference surfaces.  I am at the point of trying to figure out how to do the dovetails on the end of a curved laminated board that I can't put in a vise like I usually do to scribe the dovetail shape on the end of the front.  Thanks for the comment.

• Like 1

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AshTree
    Newest Member
    AshTree