Parts organizer organization?

Von

I found some more Stanley Sortmasters on sale today, bringing me up to five. So now that I seem to have settled on an approach to parts storage I want to find a way to organize my parts organizers. Anyone have an approach they like that they would be willing to share?

The idea that comes to mind is some sort of plywood cabinet with rails so they can be removed individually.

TIA.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:42 PM, Beechwood Chip said:

I just watched this video and thought, "Why am I buying plastic organizers, and then trying to figure out where to put them?"  Skip to 32:55 to see what I'm talking about.

Nice. If I really want to kill some time...

On 4/26/2024 at 5:40 PM, gee-dub said:

I make these out of scrap.

You have a higher quality of scrap than I do :-)

More seriously, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 4:42 PM, Beechwood Chip said:

I just watched this video and thought, "Why am I buying plastic organizers, and then trying to figure out where to put them?"  Skip to 32:55 to see what I'm talking about.

Did you notice that he even clocked the screws? 

• Like 1

They are not meant for that but do serve that purpose. The internals are just simple cubbies.  The slide out things you see are the doors off of this old computer tape reel cabinet that I re-purposed.

Powertoolstorage1.jpg.b1381912eaf92972a7b5d4bd370d7cea.jpg

I started in the heavy iron days when computers took up 5000 sq feet of raised floor :D.  I still have a few souvenirs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 7:47 PM, Coop said:

You’re fortunate in that the depth of the cabinet allows all sizes to fit into it. 

Yes.  I'd like to take credit for excellent planning but it was just a happy accident in this case. :D

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:25 AM, Tom King said:

I don't have anywhere to put parts organizers because I've already run out of room for tool organizers. Cubbies are 7' high.

cubbies1.jpg

Construction, remodel, etc require a lot of different tools, etc. Lots of portable tools, etc.  stuff adds up. I was there for awhile..

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 11:38 AM, Tom King said:

I bought the thread checker with a bunch on a cable, and it's a bit aggravating to use. 

Yeah, I have the same thing but I use them rarely enough I like how I can hang them and they don't take up much room. If I did it all the time, they'd be out the door quickly.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, Beechwood Chip said:

I'm not great at planning my projects out ahead of time, and when I'm futzing around getting ideas, I don't want to stop what I'm doing and run out to the hardware store for a part.  So, when I do buy something I need, I usually get about twice as many "for next time".  If I use up those, then I consider buying a bigger box. 

When I do plan my project ahead of time and make a shopping trip to get everything I need, more often than not I'll end up changing my mind or never getting around to doing it, so I collect a bunch of stuff that way. 

How do you think about a project and then run to get a part?

We make a hardware list, but first I have to have the wood.,

Wanting  this is fine, but do you have the money and space?

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

• Like 1