Pair of Dressers

gee-dub

This is a fun ride. Thanks again for sharing. On your table saw sled...what size are those dovetail slots?

I'm getting ready to buy one or two sizes for just that, but don't know if I should buy 1/2", or 3/4". Or both.

I'm a dovetail rookie, and any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Sorry for getting you side tracked.

Actually that is a Rockler product from back when Nordy Rockler was still running the show.  Darned handy.  Rockler is a different kettle of fish today.  To quote Chrissie Hynde "Some things change, some stay the same". :)

FYI, they still have this product, or at least something similar: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-t-track-flex-hold-arm

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 11:25 PM, gee-dub said:

@roughsawn - It is a 1/2", 14 degree bit.  The dedicated bit also eases the edges and I found this much easier than easing them myself on my first version of the sled.  I run a 1/4" or 5/16" straight bit at near full depth first.  This gives the dovetail bit less work to do and extends the life of the profile.

Thank you. The bit and clamps are in my cart! Versatility is almost unlimited.

On 12/25/2023 at 6:00 PM, gee-dub said:

Got a little time in today. I rip the floating panel blanks to final width.
MBRDresser(24).thumb.jpg.3aeb80f7e95384670962e607eb5103f4.jpg
I resaw them and plane them to final thickness.
MBRDresser(25).thumb.jpg.5cdf6de94721186ac30853eaf4e4f351.jpg
I use a flat-top-grind blade and run a 3/16" deep x 1/8" wide groove all around the panels.
MBRDresser(26).thumb.jpg.bafee7e4252c1cca0e231e1064e5f5ff.jpg
Most of this groove gets planed off when I raise the panels. There is a nice shoulder left to register the shoulder plane against. I failed to get a picture of the "in between" result of this maneuver :angry:

The profile ends up looking about like this . . .

MBRDresser(00).thumb.jpg.fbdc678d6d7c4f27388c68d2215565e1.jpg

. . . you then shoulder plane off the part colored orange.  Hopefully that makes sense.

MBRDresser(27).thumb.jpg.049322c35505ab4ce5054a80de335a1c.jpg
A couple of swipes with the shoulder plane and I end up with this profile.
MBRDresser(28).thumb.jpg.a3a8b7200d5e05f4fc4f60a1c1a6c0aa.jpg
Still rough and just slapped together but you can get an idea of what the end panels will look like.
MBRDresser(30).thumb.jpg.dbc83f57b4c4bc06b61359d10a73358f.jpg
Three more to go.

Looking good. Did you change the ends compared to the original photo?

On 12/26/2023 at 8:20 AM, BillyJack said:

Looking good. Did you change the ends compared to the original photo?

Yes, good eye.  That was a goof on my part.  I was getting ready to cut the blanks for the floating panels and the material I selected was not wide enough :huh:.  I then realized that I had not fully framed the panels in the drawing and therefor in the exploded drawing with the parts and their dimensions.  This is a good goof to find early rather than late :lol:.  They are supposed to echo the blanket chest end panels.

BlanketChest(87).thumb.jpg.2a164cace2db3864ea34fdcf567b490d.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, gee-dub said:

Ah . . . there's the little orange plastic paddle on the right hand corner of the work surface.

I have found those little glue spatulas to be useful for scraping off glue squeeze out, as well.

gee-dub, at glue up, do you usually go for generous squeeze out, tiny squeeze out or none at all?

On 12/30/2023 at 6:52 AM, Mark J said:

I have found those little glue spatulas to be useful for scraping off glue squeeze out, as well.

gee-dub, at glue up, do you usually go for generous squeeze out, tiny squeeze out or none at all?

I shoot for tiny squeeze out.  I get bummed if I get a lot to deal with but I get even more bummed out if there isn't any and I have to worry if I have starved the joint :lol:.  I would rather scrap some off than have none but that is just my persnickety personality.  Mortise and tenon joints and their ilk are my favorite because if I get a good glue film on the mortise walls and the tenon I don't panic if there is really minimal squeeze out between the other mating surfaces.

My ideal situation is a little bit of squeeze out all along the joint, wait about 20 minutes for it to get leathery, and run a chisel along the glue line to pare it off.  I will have a rag in a small bucket of water around in case of emergency but don't use the wet rag as a rule.  It drives the glue too deep into the fibers for me and can cause finishing issues.  For others, not so much.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, gee-dub said:

Things generally go well but there is always that one time . . .

It's only been one time for you :D??? I remember that one time than the other time, then the time after that... i must not learn as fast.

Great project really enjoying the steps and detail. I like the plywood inside the legs That's a good idea for drawers and something that I should borrow.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:33 AM, Mark J said:

Emissions testing?

Yes. I wonder if “Getting the car smogged “ is a regional phrase. I always find it interesting how we say things or what we call things based on where we grew up and other experiences.

• Like 1