Pair of Dressers

gee-dub

I should probably build such a height gauge. I currently go to excessive lengths to avoid changing a machine setup until I am sure I'm done with it.

This brings up a question - do you rely on the scale included on your planer to return to a previous setting, or have you ever tried gauge blocks? I can't imagine how to use a block without the planer running, but it seems like the most accurate method.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I should probably build such a height gauge.

I'm sure I've seen something like this guage at Rockler (if you'd rather buy then build).

11 hours ago, gee-dub said:

good, repeatable results. 

That's the key, you have to have precise and accurate measurements to return to a previous set up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like your micro fence adjuster on the router table. 
The “Maloof Round” you refer to; is that where the vertical dividers meet the horizontal ones or the reveal of the drawer front edges? 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, Coop said:

I like your micro fence adjuster on the router table. 

+1. Do you recall where you got it? Looks Rockler blue, but I'm not finding it there.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:25 PM, gee-dub said:

Here's another look at those small wedges in use.

Have you ever tried plastic laminates for spacers/shims?  It is available in two thicknesses. I also use them on shims for drawer slides.

I am enjoying this build. I enjoy and learn from all your posts. Keep them coming!

On 3/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, gee-dub said:

When I find these I punch a hole in one corner and add them to others I have collected.

The vertical grade is .028" and the horizontal is .048". Any cabinet shop will give scraps especially when any color will due. The laminate also is an excellent throw away trowel. 

The work is going great. Be sure to sign and date both.

• Like 1

Regarding shims: Love the old gift card idea - they also make good glue spreaders. I've also seen playing cards used for shims (might have been the WW). Being recently retired, I'm finding all sorts of uses for my old business cards in the shop: shims, note cards, flush cut protection, epoxy mixing, etc.

• 2 weeks later...