Ukulele!?

Mr. Redwood

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@Mr. Redwood Do you ever have issues gluing redwood with PVA glue? This is the 6th time across 2 different batches of tight bond 2 that I've had some redwood glue ups literally fall apart in my hands. They were in clamps for 2 hours and then sat for another hour went to move them and fell apart.

I've never had any problems with gluing redwood, just like any normal glue up

1.evenly spread titebond ll 

2. I add a dab of superglue in between the joint area ( which replaces clamps )

3. wait 10-15 minutes then i can work the joint

That works surprisingly well considering the neck of the uke is white oak end grain to redwood end grain and it holds up fine to the string tension which is no easy task... I did add a screw but i'm 100% confident in the super glue/wood glue result. The superglue is amazing because it holds the joint together (saving a ton of time and I believe ) and it works well mechanically if used correctly.

13 hours ago, Mr. Redwood said:

I've never had any problems with gluing redwood, just like any normal glue up

1.evenly spread titebond ll 

2. I add a dab of superglue in between the joint area ( which replaces clamps )

3. wait 10-15 minutes then i can work the joint

That works surprisingly well considering the neck of the uke is white oak end grain to redwood end grain and it holds up fine to the string tension which is no easy task... I did add a screw but i'm 100% confident in the super glue/wood glue result. The superglue is amazing because it holds the joint together (saving a ton of time and I believe ) and it works well mechanically if used correctly.

I've done the superglue and TBII before and it does work well. Maybe it's the wood that i'm using but it doens't take well to just PVA glue. It always seems to dry out too fast or something. Not sure if the moisture content in the redwood or how i previously said it's very thirsty makes a difference. I guess i'll just have to start  doing super glue and pva for all joints.

I should say if I let it cure longer it gets strong but it doens't have the short term strength that i'm used to with other woods.