HELP IDENTIFYING WHAT TYPE OF WOOD

Elizabeth

The wood.... could be anything. Care and clean will depend on the finish. Check if the underside of the table is finished similar to the top or if it has finish. Test any cleaning agents on the bottom if finished if it's not finished try a finish on a hidden area like the inside top of a leg or inside of an apron. Not sure where you got the table i'm assuming you can't ask the company or person it was bought from?

Cleaners i usually use alcohol rubbing or denatured. This is extreme a lot of people just use a damp rag maybe with mild soap. I suggest not using anything abrasive like scotch brite pads or stainless steel scrubbers and stick with a cotton dish rag or sponge if you so choose.

I'd be more concerned about the finish than what the wood is at the moment. If your going to follow the wood cleaning oil and apply with steel wool.  Go to the paint section of any big box store and ask for 0000 steel wool. It's the finest you can get and won't be abrasive unless you use all your muscles to scrub with.  Most of the guys that work in wood, use 0000 steel wool for applying the last finish on a project, and to apply a finish wax.   It's hard to tell what the wood is, it looks like several kind so being specific is difficult.

If you just want it clean, I suggest Murphy's Oil Soap. Mix with water per the instructions, soak a cotton rag, then wring most of the moisture out before wiping down the table. Very little chance of harming the finish, or the wood.

If you want to tone down the shine, lightly polishing with paste wax and the 0000 steel wool that @RichardA mentioned, will leave you with a nice satin sheen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

If you just want it clean, I suggest Murphy's Oil Soap. Mix with water per the instructions, soak a cotton rag, then wring most of the moisture out before wiping down the table. Very little chance of harming the finish, or the wood.

If you want to tone down the shine, lightly polishing with paste wax and the 0000 steel wool that @RichardA mentioned, will leave you with a nice satin sheen.

+1

I also agree with Richard but seldom do, your concern if any, should be the finish and not the wood.