Sign in to follow this  
rainjer

Craftsman Planes???

What is the general option on vintage Craftsman planes?  Are they worth buying? I have found a couple NOS or barely used ones for a good price but have not read much about them as far as their quality.

Jeremy

Craftsman is a Stanley badged for job site work or handyman ownership. They will work, but they may come with stamped steel frogs and other budget conscious downgrades. I also don’t care for the feel of them. 

I have a Craftsman no. 4 and no. 7. The 4 is pretty lightweight and is a bugger to keep set how I want it. Blades really thin. It gets the job done when the blade is sharp, but not the funnest plane to use. The 7 seems to be the same plane pretty much, just bigger. I have better luck using it for whatever reason. 

Most vintage hand planes, require a lot more work and tuning than the newer hand planes.  However there are good hand planes of every brand, but you'll be hard pressed to find them. However saying that, the real "Stanley" planes are easier to tune, and can be retrofitted with better blades should you need a better blade. The Stanley planes have a heavier weight, giving them a better chance of doing what you ask of them. There is one caveat. Even Stanley planes can be tough to get functioning properly. You have to be prepared to do all that makes a plane workable.  Flattening the sole, super care of the frog, Have a very good sharpening system, and with patience you can get a top notch hand tool.   But it does require attention to detail, patience, and a lot of practice. I have no  newer planes, all mine are Stanley and Miller Falls, I even use a few wooden planes, but those are for specific functions.

DSC01597.JPG

• Like 1

I run an old 5C and I love it. I scalloped cambered the blade heavily and use it for heavy removal. I don't have any other Craftsman planes but that works for what I use it for.