Craftsman Planes???

rainjer

I have a Craftsman no. 4 and no. 7. The 4 is pretty lightweight and is a bugger to keep set how I want it. Blades really thin. It gets the job done when the blade is sharp, but not the funnest plane to use. The 7 seems to be the same plane pretty much, just bigger. I have better luck using it for whatever reason. 

Most vintage hand planes, require a lot more work and tuning than the newer hand planes.  However there are good hand planes of every brand, but you'll be hard pressed to find them. However saying that, the real "Stanley" planes are easier to tune, and can be retrofitted with better blades should you need a better blade. The Stanley planes have a heavier weight, giving them a better chance of doing what you ask of them. There is one caveat. Even Stanley planes can be tough to get functioning properly. You have to be prepared to do all that makes a plane workable.  Flattening the sole, super care of the frog, Have a very good sharpening system, and with patience you can get a top notch hand tool.   But it does require attention to detail, patience, and a lot of practice. I have no  newer planes, all mine are Stanley and Miller Falls, I even use a few wooden planes, but those are for specific functions.

DSC01597.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Like most hand planes, except modern makers, the pre-WWII planes were generally good tools. Post WWII, quality gave way to price, as with most things, and most hand tools became cheap imitations of once great tools.  I am unaware of any stamped steel frog Craftsman planes, but would like to see any that have been found. I have restored Craftsman planes from the original type 1 Craftsman of 1928, made by Sargent, to 1951 versions featuring the new synthetic material, phenolic plastic.  All work well when properly tuned.  The type 1 is a top of the line Sargent brass badge plane wearing Craftsman logos.  Craftsman planes are generally undervalued and can be a bargain price for a quality plane, if you have some idea of what to look for.  Get familiar with the type 1 and type 2 Craftsman trademarks, then find planes wearing those marks.  You will have an outstanding and beautiful tool that can run with any maker.  The type 1 Craftsman below easily produces shavings 0.001 or less in thickness.

Left Front Quarter.jpg

P5100269.JPG

RIght Rear Quarter.jpg

• Like 1