Drum sander snipe solution

difalkner

Not sure, Brendon, but I've read many times about others getting it on theirs (SuperMax and other brands, as well).  It's mentioned in the SuperMax manual and they tell you how to set the pressure rollers but I still get it, so I've learned how to get around it with sacrificial boards.

David

From page 18 of the SuperMax 19/38 manual -

NOTE: TENSION ROLLER PRESSURE WARNING SIGNS

It is important to pay attention to the tension roller pressure because too little pressure can result in slippage of stock on conveyor belt and kick back. Too much tension can cause snipe when sanding.

I have mine set about as loose as they can go, fwiw.

David

I've never noticed any snipe on my sander as well. Maybe it's a depth of cut thing as well. I usually try and take a fair pass so the system is on the edge of the intillisand kicking on. To my limited experience this is a good balance between speed of stock removal and abrasive life.

11 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Hmm interesting. My drum sander actually has a kickback warning on the hood ( that I laughed at until taking a 1/4" bitch strip to the publics) but I've never noticed any snipe. 

Man i wish that was caught on video.....

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, difalkner said:

From page 18 of the SuperMax 19/38 manual -

NOTE: TENSION ROLLER PRESSURE WARNING SIGNS

It is important to pay attention to the tension roller pressure because too little pressure can result in slippage of stock on conveyor belt and kick back. Too much tension can cause snipe when sanding.

I have mine set about as loose as they can go, fwiw.

David

Interestingly, I have my feed roller pressure on my planer backed off drastically from the factory standard.  This is part of how I live snipe-free.  Despite being set an order of magnitude less than the factory settings the machine still has a grip like an alligator :).  I have experience a kick back from a lunchbox planer while trying to take very light passes. Like any unexpected behavior out of our machines it was surprising and faster than a speeding bullet :D.  I guess you could call that a reminder to keep those rubber rollers clean and grippy.

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Interestingly, I have my feed roller pressure on my planer backed off drastically from the factory standard.  This is part of how I live snipe-free.  Despite being set an order of magnitude less than the factory settings the machine still has a grip like an alligator :).  I have experience a kick back from a lunchbox planer while trying to take very light passes. Like any unexpected behavior out of our machines it was surprising and faster than a speeding bullet :D.  I guess you could call that a reminder to keep those rubber rollers clean and grippy.

Add a good waxed table and you're all set.