Raptor tool set

duckkisser

I have my sisters kids who want to learn to turn. To make it easy for them to learn to sharpen I thought I would use a raptor set up sharpening jig that is sold through craft supply with my wolverin e set up.  Most so they don’t destroy my gauges and skews :) but I don’t want to spend the money for something they might be interested in for one project so I want to just make my own set.  Anyone know how to make them so they have the correct angles want 35; 45; and, 55 or 60.  Seems like they would be easy to make but I can’t figure out how to make them to have the right angles any ideas?

here is the part I’m talking about

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/95/5188/Raptor-Set-Up-Tools

Just reverse-engineering in my head, so this may be way off...

draw a right triangle such that the vertical line passes through the two contact points at either side of the semi-circle shown in the link photo. The upper contact point is the vertex of the angle between the vertical line and the hypotenuse. Set that angle to the desired grind angle. Mark the hypotenuse at the approximate length of the tool to be ground. Now extend a line perpendicular to the vertical, which crosses the hypotenuse at the length mark. The crossing point is the end of the jig's "tail". 

The curvy design appears to be mostly for making it look like a raptor claw, but the cutout between the two grinding wheel contact points is necessary for clearance.

Again, that is just guessing from a quick look at the tool. May be way off the mark, because it seems that such a tool would make the setup more inaccurate as the turning tool loses length from sharpening.

Bought a house doing construction on it instead of wood working still not happy with my house keep having issues uggggg..... changed job in a regular classroom instead of wood shop so I’m no longer breathing sawdust day and night.  I’m trying to get back into woodworking to build some furniture.  So basicly no time for forum or a lot of stuff. How you been cooper?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Just reverse-engineering in my head, so this may be way off...

draw a right triangle such that the vertical line passes through the two contact points at either side of the semi-circle shown in the link photo. The upper contact point is the vertex of the angle between the vertical line and the hypotenuse. Set that angle to the desired grind angle. Mark the hypotenuse at the approximate length of the tool to be ground. Now extend a line perpendicular to the vertical, which crosses the hypotenuse at the length mark. The crossing point is the end of the jig's "tail". 

The curvy design appears to be mostly for making it look like a raptor claw, but the cutout between the two grinding wheel contact points is necessary for clearance.

Again, that is just guessing from a quick look at the tool. May be way off the mark, because it seems that such a tool would make the setup more inaccurate as the turning tool loses length from sharpening.

God I had to look up some of math terms it’s been so long i  always tried to teach my students to use as little and as simple of math as possible so it wouldnt seem like work.  Ya it might be useless in long run but I remember the learning curve to get good angles and don’t want my tools all jacked up from a 16 year old who wants to make something and wants it right now.  And does not want to listen to me talk about patience and control.  So thought he could learn some turning since he can start and finish a project in one day.

as for the jig loses length I use a jig to hold it in place and it is always 2” away from wheel when you lock it in my jig resting in the cradle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...