Special router bit question

IthacaDoc

Second post on my first day!  

I'm preparing to create built-in bookshelves on either side of my fireplace which has an antique mantel.  To help tie them in, I want to put flat molding on both sides that look similar to the decorative corbels on the fireplace.  I'm attaching photos including the profile.   Basically, there is a V, a round cut, and then another V.   I'll be using a router table and sapele wood.

My question:  is it better to make each cut individually (V-groove, then round nose, then V-groove) or to have a single bit made (which will probably cost at least $120 but only require one or two passes)?  I'm guessing the special bit would be a lot less complicated, and I'd be less likely to screw it up.

I'd also welcome any constructive input you might have.

Thanks very much!

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

Thanks, wtnhighlander,

Yeah, I figured I'd be removing enough wood that I'd need at least 2 passes with a custom bit.

I'm only planning on a molding width of about 2.5" (which is a little wider than the corbels pictured), so I think either orientation would work (vertical for custom bit, horizontal for the V and round bits).

• Like 1

I was thinking they had some blank cutters, but you could regrind one to get it like you need it.  I have several different beading tools, and that one is my favorite, even though it's the cheapest of the lot.  It follows curves nicely, or at least allows your hands to.

• Like 1