Using Charles Neal's Blotch Control

Keggers

I'm using Charles Neal's blotch control on my cherry kitchen doors to prevent blotching. It's a water based solution that raises the grain. The directions call for a light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper after the first application. I'll be using two applications of the product before I start with the wiping varnish - no stain. My question is, since I'm going to be applying two coats of the blotch control, how necessary is it to sand after the first application since all I'll be doing is removing the fuzz? On my test piece, I sanded after the first coat and applied a second coat. The second coat raised the grain a little so I had to lightly sand again. Couldn't I just apply two coats and sand once? I'd appreciate any input from those of you with more experience with finishing projects than I do.

Thank you.

Kent

Since this is a new product, probably not a ton of personal knowledge or first hand knowledge is developed yet. So don't be bashful, send Charles an e-mail, he will help you.

Just a thought :)

-Ace-

Thank you for your reply. I did email Charles and I haven't heard back from him yet. Since I'm working on my project every day I was hoping to get an answer in the forum. I went ahead and sanded between coats, though I still don't see why that is necessary since the second coat will raise the grain as well and will require another light sanding.

Please give us a review of this product upon completion. Im really curious how well it works. Thanks, Jim

I've used this product before - just not on such a large scale as I'm using it now. It worked great. Exactly as advertised. Easy to apply and easy to clean up.

Since you and I already chatted about this over email Kent, I'll copy that info here and add to it. Don't want it to look like I just ignored you, lol.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. You can sand between coats, but you'll probably be sanding lightly again after the second coat anyway (even though it won't be as rough as it was after the first). Personally, I think you can just wait until after the second coat to do your sanding, especially with the volume of doors you have. I doubt the results will be affected dramatically either way.

I have had incredible results using just ONE coat of this stuff. I have a bad habit of intentionally ignoring directions just to see what happens. :)So two coats, regardless of the exact application method, will still be effective.

Also keep in mind, you can test this for yourself on scrap. Just take two pieces of scrap wood, apply the blotch control with and without sanding between coats, apply your stain or finish, and observe the results. Ultimately, thats going to be better than any answer you can get from the forum..... that is unless Charles Neil stops by. :)

Since you and I already chatted about this over email Kent, I'll copy that info here and add to it. Don't want it to look like I just ignored you, lol.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. You can sand between coats, but you'll probably be sanding lightly again after the second coat anyway (even though it won't be as rough as it was after the first). Personally, I think you can just wait until after the second coat to do your sanding, especially with the volume of doors you have. I doubt the results will be affected dramatically either way.

I have had incredible results using just ONE coat of this stuff. I have a bad habit of intentionally ignoring directions just to see what happens. :)So two coats, regardless of the exact application method, will still be effective.

Also keep in mind, you can test this for yourself on scrap. Just take two pieces of scrap wood, apply the blotch control with and without sanding between coats, apply your stain or finish, and observe the results. Ultimately, thats going to be better than any answer you can get from the forum..... that is unless Charles Neil stops by. :)

Thanks Marc. I did do a test piece, but I sanded it between coats. Then I got to wondering how necessary the first sanding was. I'm going to do the rest of the doors with only one light sanding after two coats.

I have to wonder ... if you are NOT using any stain or dye ... why bother with the Blotch Control ???

If it's just a barrier/seal coat, I would think shellac would do just fine, and for a lot less $$$$

I just used it on a large Federal Style bookcase in Cherry, (under aniline dye)and it worked GREAT.

I would like to add my endorsement for this product. I have been doing a number of related projects (queen murphy bed with bookcase ends, built-in amoire, built-in desk / cabinets) all in Cherry and Cherry ply. On the murphy bed, I used my usual 1 lb cut of shellac to seal and pre-condition before gel stain / finishing. On the the amoire, I used Charles product. The results were MUCH better than shellac. I also rather use a water based product than alcohol.

Don't know what he used to formulate this but it works. I will continue to use it on any blotch prone wood.

I have the same question. I am applying a water based lacquer on cherry. Do I need Charles Neil's Pre-Color Conditioner A.K.A. "Blotch Control"?

I've found that regardless of whether you stain or not stain, any finish applied to figured cherry will darken the softer parts of the grain pattern resulting in some blotching. My doors are getting several coats of wipe on varnish and I'm loving the results. It's a little more work using the blotch control, but I felt that after all the work I put into building my doors that it would be silly to take a chance on blotching. That's just me and my experience working with cherry - which is my favorite wood of choice for most of my projects.

Same here. I have seen a difference too. Its certainly more subtle when you're just using clear coats, but there can be a difference. But you can still get great results just using a seal coat of dewaxed blonde shellac. I should make up some test boards when I get home using shellac vs CN with various clear coats.

• 2 weeks later...

Not like you have anything else to do marc.... ;-p

I'm eagerly waiting for this review and comparison... of course I should probably just order some and do my own tests.

I'm just about to start the first piece of an entire dining room project out of cherry. I should just do a massive bunch of test boards anyway.