Sabre

Sabre

Is there a spray alternative to Arm R Seal for large projects?

Good morning. I've just completed a large hexagon breakfast table made from hickory, the top is 69" wide with a hex base that is 28" wide and 36" tall.  I made the base with six panels similar to door panels and one of those is hinged that provides access to the inside which will allow my wife to store items on the base and a center shelf.  Needless to say this is a lot of area to cover with a lot of contours and hard to reach areas.  I have used Arm R Seal in the past based off of research I've done on this site and others and though it provided a beautiful and very tough final finish it was extremely difficult to apply with out streaks and ridges and a lot of sanding and reapplication to get it right. I'm very hesitant to attempt it on a surface as large as the top and bottom of this table top and all the contours of the exterior and interior of the base. 

Has anyone had any success in spraying Arm R Seal? The few comments I've found, including from general finishes themselves states it can be done but is not recommended?  If it cannot be sprayed successfully does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative that comes close to ARS?  

Most times I wipe on one coat Garnet Shellac and then spray three coats of General Finishes High Performance - which is a waterborne poly.  The shellac will give you nice warm tones and make the grain stand out.   General Finishes also has another waterborne poly called enduroVar that has a little amber tone but it isn't the same appearance as ARS.

• Like 1