Marc uses West epoxy sometimes

gardnesd

can someone tell me where to find it online and exactly what to buy??? Is there a kit? Or do you buy the base and catalyst in seperate purchases?? A linky would be nicey?

JamestownDistributors.com search for "West System". There's a kit but it is expensive because you get a lot of things for fiberglassing that you won't need. Search this forum for 'West System'. I remember babbling too long about it in response to something Bobby posted. You can buy them separately. Get the 105 resin, 205 hardener, and the dispensing pumps to make life nice. 404 filler if you need to thicken it.

You can start with this link for where to buy. You are going to need a resin and a hardner and sometimes a filler. THe 105 resin is the general resin. Then you are going to need a hardener. The fast or the slow. Whatever it is that you want. And some 404 filler to thicken it up if you need it.

You get 5 minutes? You must be on the humid side of the valley...

Jim: there's a slow-set hardener. Look at the 105 resin page and there'll be a chart available explaining the set time for the various hardeners. Even the slow-set is still considered cured after 24 hours like the regular hardener. I only recently got the slow-set; Arizona summer heat makes the 105 set way too quickly.

can someone tell me where to find it online and exactly what to buy??? Is there a kit? Or do you buy the base and catalyst in seperate purchases?? A linky would be nicey?

i dont know where you live, but if you have a decent marine supply store around they should have it. i have several marine supply stores in my area that carry the resin, both hardeners, fillers and all kinds of other extras.

i dont know where you live, but if you have a decent marine supply store around they should have it. i have several marine supply stores in my area that carry the resin, both hardeners, fillers and all kinds of other extras.

Actually there is a west marine here in Charleston SC. Are they the same name? If so I'll just go there.

Im doing a walunt kitchen table and am about to do the perimeter skirt board which is biscuit joined on the long sides and breadboard with dados on the end. The size is 6' x 4' so there is alot of glue area. I would like to do this in one glue up so i know the mitered corners line up but im thinking that's a little nuts. Do you think the epoxy could give me the required open time? When you say 30 min open time do you mean 30 minutes of working time?

So West Marine has the entire system in different sizes. I got 105 206 and the guy saig that mixing those two does not create an adherent??? Said I needed to buy the 406 filler if I wanted to bond wood together. I told him I thought he was wrong. We got into a fist fight and I crossed his teeth and dotted his eye. After mopping up the blood I bought the 406 filler and he said I could bring it back if not needed. So, what situations would I need a filler???

After mopping up the blood I bought the 406 filler and he said I could bring it back if not needed. So, what situations would I need a filler???

You can use the filler whenever you want. You'll find this epoxy to be more runny than most. This is a good thing since you can pour it into cracks easily. But when using it to glue up a project, you might find it a little too runny. So adding the filler not only thickens the material, but also strengthens it much like rebar strengthens concrete. But I have used the epoxy, without filler, numerous times on joinery and my joints are holding strong.

West actually talks about this on their web site.

See Here

Straight epoxy will bond, but not as well as a mixture with a little bit of filler added (about as thick as ketchup).

As you add filler, you can get into the realm of gap filling.

Straight is also good for pre-coating parts, and for wet coating out fiberglass on top of wood.

And if you think WEST is runny, try MAS or System 3.

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer on this website... well, not that new since I have been going through a viewing marathon of Marc's podcasts from "numero uno" to the latest update on his shop.

I am wasting woods on boats (or is it the opposite?) and I have had the opportunity to use West System once in a while. I would like to add my two cents and post comments that would be useful to everyone. In episode 134 of TWW's podcast, I noticed that Marc was mixing filler (West System High density filler 404) with unmixed resin and hardener while not wearing gloves and respirator.

West System is recommending to add fillers to resin and epoxy in a two step process.

1- Mix the hardener and the resin and then

2- Add the filler

The curing of epoxy is generated by a chemical reaction when a specific amount of hardener comes into contact with the resin. In order to maximize the initial contact between the resin and the hardener, I think it is best to mix the two without the presence of any filing agent and in a second step, add the filler.

As to skin protection, skin exposure to uncured epoxy doesn't generate immediately health problems. However, the repeated exposure over a period of time (which isn't the case here) to uncured epoxy can generate dermatitis with some people. I know of a professional boatbuilder that cannot any longer use epoxy due to acute skin problems. It is best to use gloves whenever handling uncured epoxy.

Finally, using respirator when handling unmixed fillers is always a good idea since some of them (in particular coloidal silica, aka West System 406) are rather nasty to your health if they become airborne.

I hope this help. I love the forum!

Paul