Guild Miter Station + Kapex

SeventyFix

TL;DR: What is the optimum placement of the miter saw on this Guild miter station?

I'm getting close to finishing the Guild miter station.  I'm at the point of trying to figure out where to position the saw and the Incra T-tracks. 

Ideally, the countertop would be deep enough to fully support the piece that can be cut by the travel of the sliding miter saw.  

It looks like this won't be possible with the setup as I built it.  (It is built to the dimensions in the Guild project document, to the best of my ability.  My saw is different from the Dewalt used in the build example.)

What is the best option for the placement of this saw on this miter station?  

1. Pull the entire miter station forward, away from the wall and push the saw back.  On the plus side, this involves no extra work.  On the down side, this solution leaves a gap between the countertop and the wall, allowing dust to fall behind the cabinet.  
  2. Repeat #1, except add a 3" backer board to the entire countertop (left, right and center) to fill the gap between the wall and the cabinet.  On the plus side, this provides a block for dust falling behind the cabinet.  On the down side, it's more work and the cabinet doesn't sit flush against the wall (which kind of looks nice).
  3. Do nothing.  Only 3" of potential cut is left unsupported.  Looking at the completed projects on the Guild (of which 2 use the Kapex), this seems to be the option of choice.
  4. Do something else that I haven't thought of or I'm completely wrong / have made a mistake in the build/dimensions, etc.  I'm willing to admit to wrongdoing.

Side Note: The completed pictures appear to show the countertop edge banding (3/4") continuing around the back of the countertop.  I haven't added this yet and it doesn't appear to be a part of the original design plan.  

20191105_201344.jpg

Guild_a.jpg

Guild_b.jpg

If you're cutting something wide enough to need the full cut capacity of the saw, there will still be plenty on the table, and the cut itself will be supported by the saw arm.   I've never had extensions on a miter saw that supported the whole length of the saw arm, and it's never been any sort of a problem with many thousands of cuts.

Below is a picture of my miter station with the Kapex which I built before the Guild series came out.  After seeing Marc's build, mine just isn't that much different so, perhaps I can answer some questions for you or grab some specific measurements for you if needed.

My cabinets are tight to the wall and I do have trim on the backside of my top as well.

The Kapex does ride the front a bit but, I've run stock larger than the capacity of the saw and not had any issues.

Please let me know if you want any close up pics or have questions..

Miter Station.JPG

Thank you for these thoughtful replies.  I read and considered all of them.  I agree - I am going to leave the design as-is and let the front of the saw extend beyond the front of the countertop.  I wanted to ask for your opinion and put some thought into it before going at it alone and regretting some decision later.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

Thank you for these thoughtful replies.  I read and considered all of them.  I agree - I am going to leave the design as-is and let the front of the saw extend beyond the front of the countertop.  I wanted to ask for your opinion and put some thought into it before going at it alone and regretting some decision later.  

I don't think you'll be disappointed..  Mine only extends out a few inches but, has just never been an issue.

11 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Ideally, the countertop would be deep enough to fully support the piece that can be cut by the travel of the sliding miter saw.  

My miter station isn't large enough to full support and I don't think it needs to.

That said if you want to pull the cabinets out a bit I'd add some shelves to close the gap behind. The dust that falls behind my miter station is annoying. It's difficult to climb under there every 3 months to vacuum it up.