Twin Turbo Vise

Ronn W

I ordered mine a while ago and am excited to receive it. Mr. Klein is working like 18 hour days the fill the orders on these vises after seeing how well packaged it is this makes sense. I've been following the journey on social media.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the vise. Are you going to put yours on the end of your bench or on a long edge?

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the vise. Are you going to put yours on the end of your bench or on a long edge?

MIne will be on the long edge.  I saw on instagram (which I do not kmow how to use) that he has completed the assembly video and is in the editing process.  Until then, mine lives in the box.

• Like 1

Got the vise done today.  Will put the jaw liner material on tomorrow and will post pics very soon. 

BTW when you install the 2 vise screws be sure that you use all 4 bushings  that he shows you in his hand and the 2 washers.  I had missed installing one bushing on each screw and had to remove the lock ring to install them.  Not fun.  Using the handle to install the lock rings was a clever desing feature.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Got the vise done today.  Will put the jaw liner material on tomorrow and will post pics very soon. 

BTW when you install the 2 vise screws be sure that you use all 4 bushings  that he shows you in his hand and the 2 washers.  I had missed installing one bushing on each screw and had to remove the lock ring to install them.  Not fun.  Using the handle to install the lock rings was a clever desing feature.

Ahh how about a pic or too? :) 

• Like 1

Man that looks awesome. Seems like it was a pretty easy install. The jaws look far larger than your previous vise. I know Andy mentioned something in the install video about checking for resistance, have you done that?

Mine gets delivered Thursday. I"m excited to use it. I'm going to have to figure out where on my bench I'm going to place it. My options are either in the middle or on the end opposite my tail vise.

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I know Andy mentioned something in the install video about checking for resistance, have you done that?

I did his resistance test. Mine did not rotate quite as freely as his.  His handle dropped from 3 o'clock to 6. Mine stopped at about 5 o'clock. 

I played around with clamping a piece of wood and  pushing on it.  so much more holding power than old vise and with the liner on the jaw and bench edge its awesome.  I tapered the face of the jaw as he recommended - 1/8"  on the planer.  Probably would have been better at 3/16" but it may loosen a little with use.  That is base on my  2 7/8" thick bench top.  The thicker your bench top the farther the mounting blocks wil be below the bench to and the more taper you may need on the vise jaw for proper full contact fo the jaw against the bench.

I clamped a piece of wood in the vise in the far right 2 1/2" of the vise with the edge of the board about 3" proud of the bench top and stroked it with a smoothing plane.  It did not move.  There was almost no racking and any racking that was there was negated by the liner material.

I put some of the left over liner on my other smaller woodcraft vise and it made a world of difference for that vise, too.

I drilled 2 holes in the top  of the jaw for myplastic bench dogs.  I had to shorten the dogs because I did not want the holesto allow dust to enter t he gears.  The depth of the holes are governed by the thickness of the bench so your results may vary.

• Like 1