old tools

I have a Ryobi mortising machine bench top . and a tradesman 6 inch jointer seems they all went away . looking for compatible hollow chisels for the Ryobi and users manual  for both machines . the jointer could use some blades they should be easy to find I hope .and also need the return spring and little thimble that houses it. right now I have a spring pulling back over the cutter. any manuals that can be uploaded so I may copy them would be greatly appreciated . thank you Robert vaillancourt.

Those jointer guards usually have a torsion spring.  The post will have a slot that goes down over a bar in the hole.  You move the fence out of the way, rotate the guard a couple of times counterclockwise, and that loads the return force enough.  When you put the fence back, that keeps the guard from unwinding all the spring tension.  I have no idea if that's the way yours works, but would be surprised if it was different.

The main things to check for the mortise bit sets are the diameter at the top of the chisel, and the length of bit.  I like for the bits to seat all the way home in the chuck, or they can get pushed up into the cutting edges of the chisel in use.  I have even super glued little washers to add length to a short bit.  Some of the better sets come with long bits, and you cut them like you need them.

Standard way to set the chisel to bit spacing, is to put the chisel in, using a dime for a spacer.  Then you insert the bit until it just barely touches the chisel.  The last step is to take the dime out, and slide the chisel up, and fasten it.

The good thing about having the bits just the right length, other than making it impossible to crash land the bit to chisel, is that you don't have to fiddle with the dime at setup.