Lumber Cart

MJC

I saw another post about sheet good storage and I didn’t want to hijack that thread so I started a new one.

l am starting to get way to clutter with my “sorted out organized” piles of wood. I need to make a cart to put this is and I would like to have it on casters. Rather than list what I want to put in my cart I think I would like to see photos of what others have. I know after I see those I will change my mind on what I want anyway so it will be a waste of time to make a list of what I want. If I decide to go with your cart would you be willing to send me some simple measurements of it so I can make one myself? 

I also want to be able to get it through a 36” door should I ever move.

My suggestion to make it easy to move to another address is to design and build it so it can be disassembled.  Use bolts and pocket screws rather than glue and joints.  I made a clamp cart years ago with T&G joints.  It will be a pain to move and I can't easily repurpose the plywood, either.  

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Are you talking about sheet goods, or solid wood scraps and off-cuts? I sort my hardwood scraps by standing them on end in a bucket. Sorted by species, one per bucket. If it doesn't fit the bucket, it isn't scrap.

Of course, I typically have no more than 4 species on hand at any given time.

Smaller sized pieces not full sheets and cut-offs of different shapes and sizes. I normally don't save the small stuff and throw it into a box and give it to this collector who stops by once a week to pick up this other stuff I put out by the curb.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

My suggestion to make it easy to move to another address is to design and build it so it can be disassembled.  Use bolts and pocket screws rather than glue and joints.  I made a clamp cart years ago with T&G joints.  It will be a pain to move and I can't easily repurpose the plywood, either.  

I don't glue stuff I plan on possibly taking apart but I also don't like to take it apart unless necessary. The workbench I just sold is a good example of what you are talking about. I had to just about take it completely apart to get it out. I thought it would fit without taking it apart but not a chance. I used screws and no glue on that so it was real easy to do and went right back together. I just had to get the top aligned again because I had the table saw built into it already so I needed to make sure the fence rails were matched up with the cutouts. Took me 45 minutes and I had it all back together including the casters. 

I have a 24" x 24" cart that is on wheels that I roll around my shop. Floor to top is about 29" but that is less important. I'd set the height so it can roll under your table saw extension wig or something. I have drawers on my cart and store random stuff in there but you could easily just do cubbies for shorts wood storage. If you want a bit longer storage either orient the storage vertically or make the cart bigger.

I used to have my planer on it but I have since changed that. Now it's just a material cart, I put project parts on top of it when I move from machine to machine. It's a lot easier to stack 30 different pieces in an organized fashion than trying to carry them and maybe drop a few.

1119172024a_HDR.thumb.jpg.0b809d0ff2ce1576fd757aad8ed729d9.jpg

• Like 2

I do have small pieces of exotics in a couple of drawers in my tablesaw outfeed table.  General cutoffs go in the sort of stair-stepped cubby do-funny that you see in the right hand background of this pic.  That is not going to be much of an inspiration for a portable method ;-)

19-38-stand(26).jpg.fffbf96a8f54bf56e866f9eb272e8712.jpg

• Like 2