in·ad·vis·a·ble

harryangel69

Well I have not completed my shop, yet. Nor have I gone and purchased my major new tools. Despite this I purchased some wood sight unseen.

Yea I know, right, exactly. What is wrong with me? Don't need to answer that.

Happened to run into a guy that has a warehouse full of crap. I deal with him all the time. Sometimes he sell cheap. Sometimes he will not talk to you. We all know somebody like that somewhere. He had a new jet table saw for sale last spring. I asked about it then and he was a little higher than I had on me. So, times are different now I asked again. He sold it. It had been sitting in his warehouse for five years and I missed it. Oh well. We catch up, and I tell him what I am doing. He tells me he has some wood that I need to see. So I probe. Here is what I find out.

Rough saw oak

5/4

10" plus width don't know length or total board feet

More than my truck can haul. (2006 ram 4x4) But he will let me borrow his trailer and he'll set on with his forklift.

air dried, aged three years when he got it two years ago.

$400

Shook his hand and said I'll take it, but it will a couple of weeks before I can come pick it up.

He his typically straight forward guy, and if it was crap I think He would have told me. I will post picks when get it home. Whenever that will be.

Without seeing how big the pile actually is or what the stuff looks like, if you can get 80 decent board feet out of the whole pile I'd say you broke even if you do better then that you did good. 5/4 red oak is going for around $5 brd ft right now. White oak a buck or two more...

I'd love to latch on to some decent wood deals but unfortunately, no room to put a large amount of lumber so I have to buy as I need :(

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out...

-Jim

Well Chad, I hope that the wood works out for you....

but man, GET ON THAT SHOP! :D

I have been checking it out and you are killing me with not geting going. I am about ready to get on a plane and fly over there and spend your hard earned money for you! let's see that shop! ;)

Hey, this is just in fun. I hope the humor came out here and not taken as offensive. Trying to get you motivated on getting your shop set up. I know how much better I felt after cleaning my place up and getting it going and I am pretty sure that you will get the same satisfaction out of it as I did. Hope you are enjoying to process.

Well Chad, I hope that the wood works out for you....

but man, GET ON THAT SHOP! :D

I have been checking it out and you are killing me with not geting going. I am about ready to get on a plane and fly over there and spend your hard earned money for you! let's see that shop! ;)

Hey, this is just in fun. I hope the humor came out here and not taken as offensive. Trying to get you motivated on getting your shop set up. I know how much better I felt after cleaning my place up and getting it going and I am pretty sure that you will get the same satisfaction out of it as I did. Hope you are enjoying to process.

Picked up insulation today. Wait till you see what I found for the walls. :D

• 1 month later...

Almost two months later trying to get back on track. Pouring down rain like crazy today but gotta get moving. Projects are rolling in and I have no wood and no tools. Well few tools. It is between 5 and 6 hundred board feet. Half white oak and half red oak.

Here is the promised pic.

post-3648-0-62628500-1303693985_thumb.jp

They are about 9ish inches wide and about 13 feet long. Two stacks of 25 and some fresher red oak on top.