finishing in a basement shop

rherald1951

i could use some advice on finishes that are safe to use in an unventilated basement shop.  i have a jet air cleaner and good masks.  there seems to be no easy way to run ventilation to the outside.  i suppose i could wait till summer and then apply finish to what i have built but i was hoping that someone out there who is in a similar situation and could help.  thanks very much

rjherald

You will be fine with any water borne finish.  General Finishes has a nice line of products the fall into this category.  They also have a number of videos on their website explaining the different features of their product line.   They are a top notch product.

• 4 months later...

I spent the entire weekend finishing the old basement room putting in laminate-from-hell and some IKEA Billy cabinets (not a fan but can't beat them time/cost-wise.. honestly it looks pretty good). So not much progress in the workshop.

I was thinking about hanging some of the kitchen cabinets I bought on the walls in my workshop, but I'm not sure what is the best way to do this. I have no experience with the tongue-and-groove walls that are currently there. I *think* there is plywood under the t&g but I am not sure. Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Also, if there turns out to be plywood under there, can I just screw french cleats to the walls and hang the cabinets on those? Or do I still need to search for the studs?