Phoenix Vs. Phoenix

scottsabiker

I just heard from my daughter today with a request for a blanket chest. From her discription, she wants a Frame & Panel style chest with 3 raised panels front & rear & 1 panel on each end. Here's the problem. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona. I live in Phoenix, Oregon. Ya - I know, you didn't even know there is such a place as Phoenix, Oregon. Well with the BIG, BIG diferance in humidity between the two Phoenixes, I'm not sure how well to make the panels fit into the stiles, & rails. I usely put a small amount of glue on about two inches on each end of the panel to hold them steady, & to lock them in place while allowing for wood movement side to side. But I'm stumped on how tight to make the groove fit, or how loose to make the fit of any part of the whole project. HELP!!!

I just heard from my daughter today with a request for a blanket chest. From her discription, she wants a Frame & Panel style chest with 3 raised panels front & rear & 1 panel on each end. Here's the problem. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona. I live in Phoenix, Oregon. Ya - I know, you didn't even know there is such a place as Phoenix, Oregon. Well with the BIG, BIG diferance in humidity between the two Phoenixes, I'm not sure how well to make the panels fit into the stiles, & rails. I usely put a small amount of glue on about two inches on each end of the panel to hold them steady, & to lock them in place while allowing for wood movement side to side. But I'm stumped on how tight to make the groove fit, or how loose to make the fit of any part of the whole project. HELP!!!

Scotty, I know I have a wood movement site saved someplace, but can't find it. It's gonna be a relative humidity thing. If someone else doesn't turn it up before I do, I'll find it and link you to it. But, I'm thinking that if you're definitely a higher humidity level, you can make things pretty tight without worry. But, I'm sure you're also wondering how much you need to worry about shrinkage. Not the Seinfeld episode. "I was in the pool, Jerry!!!"

Thanks guys, especialy Vic. I used the sight you posted http://www.woodworke...om/movement to get an idea of the expected movement. I will still use my glue up the center only on each panel. But I'll make the grooves 1/16th deeper then usual, and adjust the panel as needed. That should make up for the 20 o/o difference of annual humidity in the two citys. One in beautiful green mountains, the other in low yucky grey desert. Again, thanks

PS - no offence meant to you who live in the desert, there are really nice people that live there. After all, thats where my daughter lives.