carving knifes

tomy josif

I don't do a lot of carving, but I suspect the answer has something to do with the type of carving you expect to do.

The stuff I've done is relief carving on flat stock.  I have a "beginners" set of knives from Pfeil.  I think this is the set : 

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/carving-4pc-intro-set?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cX2zZvQ6QIVicDACh2buwSfEAYYAiABEgIPs_D_BwE

Pfeil is a pretty well-respected brand.  I've been happy with these for what I do.

Narex is a little less expensive brand that might serve you well.  I don't have any of their carving knives, but have several of their chisels that I'm happy with.

• Like 1

G Ragatz has good advise above.

Most of my carving tools are Pfeil "Swiss Made" and they are excellent knives/gouges.

I have a set of Two Cherries carving knives as well and they are quite nice too.

I have a Narex knife which says it's a dual bevel carving/striking/marking knife but it is too stout for what I would think of as a carving knife.

I also recommend the Pfeil gouges.  I assume that you are asking about carving chisels and gouges and not so much about straight blade knives.   If you strop these gouges often as you work they will stay sharp for a long time before you have to re-sharpen them on a stone.  They come ready to use sharp.  I strongly recommmend that you check out Mary May's wood carving online school if you are just starting out.  There are several free videos that will help you get going.   She also has arrangments with suppliers with good prices on "sets" of gouges that she recommends.  If you get to the point where you want to buy several gouges I recommend Wood 'n Wildcraft at www.woodcarvingbiz.com.  Excellent prices and the US to Canada dollar exchange rate makes the prices really great.  Also no sales tax.

• Like 1