Passive speaker for iPhone

39 minutes ago, Mick S said:

That's really cool, David. I'll have to forward these pics to my brother. He owns a company in Denver called koostik. He's made thousands of acoustic iPhone and iPad amplifiers. That's a neat design!

David, patent pending? :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mick S said:

That's really cool, David. I'll have to forward these pics to my brother. He owns a company in Denver called koostik. He's made thousands of acoustic iPhone and iPad amplifiers. That's a neat design!

Thanks, Mick! 

I've been thinking about it for weeks and ran through a dozen different ideas while I should have been sleeping. I tried to make a Fibonacci sequence pattern work but just couldn't do it justice with the piece of Curly Maple I had. Plus, if I made it much larger then she would use it and never say a word but I would know that it was taking up too much room on the bar. The deflector idea came to me as I thought about sound ports in speakers to allow some air in from the rear but deflect or shape the sound toward the front. I doubt it makes much difference but I like the idea so we'll go with 'it helps'.

David

• 2 years later...

In my effort to make a handful of videos using my new favorite video editing software, DaVinci Resolve, I thought one on building this passive speaker would be appropriate.  So even though this thread is close to three years old it's probably better to have the video here than create a new thread (even though with a new thread it will likely be seen more - oh, well...).

This is a short video, a little over 7 minutes long - (for some reason the video won't display here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFXmvXEX514

• Like 1