Home Depot Black Friday ad

jussi

Looks like it starts 11/8 this year.  There's a link on the first post to a pdf file.  Looks like dewalt deals are a slightly better than Milwaukee this year.  That jigsaw is tempting.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14468516-home-depot-black-friday-deals-live-11-8-2-pk-milwaukee-compact-tape-measures-10-gorilla-aluminum-slim-fold-work-platform-23-88-rigid-6-5-amp-tile-saw-99-more?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Direct pdf link

https://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9501785&d=1603731667

I love my Milwaukee surge impact drivers.  So much quieter than a regular impact. I liked the 18v so much I ended up getting as  the 12v as well. I have both Of the smaller 18v Milwaukee And dewalt drill drivers and cant see a big difference. 

I'm debating on getting the $599 Milwaukee kit with 2 free tools and selling 1 of the free tools, the circular saw and the flashlight. I think I would be under $300 for a fuel hammer drill, impact driver, jigsaw and 2 5.0 batteries. Would be pretty heavy though I think.

Yeah I've made up my mind that if i get a new 18v system it's goign to be Festool as I already have 4 batteries and a track saw. I'm wondering how long my 18V dewalt batteries are goign to last but they show no sign of slowing down. I got some of the 20V XR batteries and an adapter to keep them going after the current batteries crap out.

I"m somewhat shocked at how much money these companies throw at advertising for these tools. I don't know if they have made anything better in the last 10 years (they probably have) but I do know the chucks have gotten worse compared to my 10 year old hammer drill.

@Chestnut I used to feel the same way about sticking with the same battery line but I’ve found that if you find the right deal companies are baSically giving batteries away. So unless space is an issue I would recommend on getting the tool best tool available.  

I was in a similar situation as you a few months back with getting an new impact driver.  Festool was coming out with their newest model but Milwaukee has some crazy good deal. Basically For the same price as the bare festool impact I would get the Milwaukee with a charger and 2 batteries.  Plus the Milwaukee was a hydraulic impact so muuuch quieter.  I even asked opinions on fog and most suggested Milwaukee as they have a longer reputation in making drills. Their 12v installation drill is also my new favorite go to.  Slightly better than my cxs

@jussi I'm not really in a situation. I'm just bidding my time. My impact and drills all work great still. I'm not really worried about the cost of the batteries. Just that it's nice to have a big pile of charged ones sitting around. It'd also be nice to consolidate down to 1 charger and battery type to take the thought out of the matter. When hanging upside down from a ladder holding something critical and the battery dies, it's easier to tell my dad to go to my shop and grab a batter and not have to explain which one out of the 8 choices would be the right one. If you haven't been in that situation let me tell you the argument and time spent waiting is worth a LOT of money to avoid.

I don't like impacts, honestly i want to go festool and get away from impact drives all together. I think they are pointless and just destroy fasteners and have no real benefit well for the work that I do. The thing is my impact is my "compact light weight" driver so i use it and snap a screw every now and then. I much prefer the old brushed drills that slow down when torque is added and you can let the trigger up and give the whole drill a twist to get the right torque. .

• Like 1

@Chestnut I totally agree the biggest downside to having multiple brand tools is all the chargers.  I have a spider web of chargers on the wall and absolute mess of tools.  In fact, my current project is make a cabinet to organize them.  But I'm willing to put up with that if I can get the best tool and/or bargain.  I love Festool but sometimes the premium you pay for them doesn't translate to better performance.  To me the drills fit this category.  I have the cxs and c15 and both are great drills but the I personally like my comparable Milwaukee ones a little better.

I haven't done a timed test but charging times using the fast charger for my milwaukee and dewalt tools seem comparable with my air stream for the my hkc saw.    

I guess I'm not sure what makes what the best tool to other people. The chuck system on festool is what has my attention. My biggest gripe with most of the tools is poor chucks. I also really like the integrated right angle driver of the festools and the ability for them to all swap out chucks quick and easy. Having a good right angle driver would be a benefit. I have one of the adapters and it's not very good.

The quick change centrotec stuff is appealing as i feel like I'm constantly switching bits.

Power is over little concern. I can't remember the last time I've even pulled the trigger of my drill all the way, much less put it in low gear.

16 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I guess I'm not sure what makes what the best tool to other people. 

The work I do. I drive enough timber lock power lags to like having an impact around. That said, I am drilling and hand driving more in wood these days. I understand your point though. I am in old cheap Craftsman because they fit my hand, and the patent on batteries has expired. Cheap replacements are easy to source. That’s purely cost consideration. 

Their sanders are good, their track saws have a few nice benefits that some competitors lack. When you get in to cordless track saws the field gets very narrow. The TSC55 is the fault for starting me down the festool cordless route. It's a good saw and being able to break down sheet goods before having to move the sheets is a very nice luxury.

The domino is pretty awesome and has a ton of uses. Not much can compete with that tool. I don't understand dominos are for production, it's a tool it's for what ever you use you see fit.

Remember years ago when I complained about doing 700 bar stools on a production line and them failing due to stress.. it's a great tool, but not for everything. I think dowels would have been as good...

It's faster than a M&T...

Remember I was trained in the early 80's in shops  using dowel machines and old school  M&T. A lot of trust in those products. I won't give a Domino any more credit than due....

i-know-a-thing-or-two-because-i-broke-a-thing-or-two.jpg

• Haha 1

It's coming off like you are patronizing me or talking down to me. I understand you came from a production shop but you are one in few on this forum.  I don't think being part of a product shop is a prerequisite for knowledge.

I don't pigeon hole a tool into anything. The domino is nothing more than a tool that makes an oblong hole. What size hole and what you fill that oblong hole with are up to the end user. The domino is heavily used in what most would call a hobby shop. I'd argue that a tool that makes a process faster is important for everyone that is short on time if you have the funds to pony up. I get 2 hours a day to make things. I use the domino because i want to finish projects in weeks not months. Saying it's only good for XYZ isn't very helpful. It's like saying an F-250 is only good for hauling sheet goods to a construction site and isn't useful any other way.

Breaking stuff is a good way to gain experience.